The Philadelphia Contributionship for the Insurance of Houses from Loss by Fire at 212 S. 4th Street between Walnut and Locus Streets in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia was built in 1835-36 and was designed by Thomas U. Walter in the Greek Revival style, with Corinthian columns. The portico was replaced in 1866 by Collins and Autenreith who also expanded the living quarters on the top two floors by the addition of a mansard roof. A marble cornice between the 3rd and 4th floors was also added. The Contributionship was organized by Benjamin Franklin in 1752 and is the oldest mutual fire insurance company in the United States. (Source: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.))
Media in category "Philadelphia Contributionship"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- WTP C10 AMP 1.jpg 3.14 MB