Category:Photographs by Samuel McLaughlin
English: Samuel McLaughlin (1826-1914) was born in Ireland and studied in Dublin. He settled in the city of Québec as a publisher and watchmaker. He took up photography as an amateur and became an expert. In 1958, he begins the publication of The Photographie Portfolio, A Monthly View of Canadian Scenes and Scenery by Samuel McLaughlin, the first photographc portfolio published in Canada. An album of his photographs was published in 1858 by Middleton & Dawson of Québec. in 1861, he was appointed Chief Photographer to the Department of Public Works of Canada. He installed a photographic studio on the Heights of Abraham. In 1963, his appointment to photograph the construction of the Parliament buildings in Ottawa was the beginning of the photographic branch of the Department. When the government of Canada moved from Québec to Ottawa, he and his family followed. In 1881, he prepared the album Saguenay Photographs Public Works. In 1893, he retired in Los Angeles, where he died. In 1897, a fire in the Ottawa studio destroyed originals. He was succeeded by his son, Daniel Alexandre McLaughlin, Photographer to the Department of Public Works and Railways & Canals. (References: The Civil Service of Canada, Ottawa, 1914, p. 103. «Une première au Canada : le portfolio photographique de Samuel McLaughlin», in Cap-aux-Diamants, vol. 3, n° 2, été 1987, Québec, pp. 9-12.)
Media in category "Photographs by Samuel McLaughlin"
The following 12 files are in this category, out of 12 total.
- BDP1876.jpg 447 × 580; 76 KB
- Canal locks and Major's Hill 1860.jpg 760 × 601; 121 KB
- Construction of central parliament building.jpg 760 × 578; 138 KB
- Governors B. N. America 1862.jpg 1,222 × 926; 461 KB
- Ice boat (Quebec).jpg 760 × 527; 69 KB
- Main tower of Parliament buildings under construction, Ottawa, 1863.jpg 1,068 × 1,377; 1.29 MB
- Natural Steps (Montmorency River).jpg 1,276 × 936; 697 KB
- St Ursule Street.jpg 926 × 1,252; 344 KB
- ThomasMckayMills23.jpg 640 × 479; 63 KB
- Valley of the St Charles.jpg 1,230 × 913; 459 KB
- View of Rideau Falls - 1853.jpg 760 × 588; 107 KB
- Winter Scene in Lower Canada.jpg 760 × 538; 161 KB