Category:Portrait of Mehmed II by Gentile Bellini
|Gentile Bellini: The Sultan Mehmet II|
attributed to Gentile Bellini
"The Sultan Mehmet II"
The painting is almost entirely repainted, especially in the figure.
The attribution to Bellini is not proved, but the sitter is reasonably identified as Mehmet II (1432 - 1481). Gentile Bellini visited his court in Constantinople. There is insufficient evidence for deciding whether the picture is a copy or a very damaged original.It has been noticed that the portrait is like one of the figures in a painting by Marco Palmezzano, Jesus among the Doctors in the Temple (Brisighella, near Forlì and Ravenna). So the dating and authorship of the portrait by Bellini have been placed in question.
|Depicted people||Mehmet II (1432 - 1481)|
|Medium||Oil (19th-century repaint) on canvas, perhaps transferred from wood|
|Dimensions||69.9 x 52.1 cm|
|Collection||National Gallery, London|
Loan: Victoria & Albert museum
|Object history||Layard Bequest, 1916|
painting by Gentile Bellini
|Main subject||Mehmed the Conqueror|
|Location||Victoria and Albert Museum, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Greater London, London, England, UK|
Media in category "Portrait of Mehmed II by Gentile Bellini"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Bellini Centile. "Sultan II Mehmet". 1480. Milli qalereya, London.jpg 1,200 × 1,619; 511 KB
- Gentile Bellini 003.jpg 3,132 × 4,226; 2.31 MB
- Gentile bellini, ritratto di mehmed II, 1480.JPG 1,692 × 2,164; 1.93 MB
- Gentile bellini, ritratto di mehmet II.JPG 1,320 × 1,701; 1.55 MB
- Portrait of Mehmed II by Gentile Bellini (Cropped).png 284 × 340; 111 KB
- Portrait of Sultan Mehmed II by Gentile Bellini - Fatih.jpg 500 × 741; 70 KB
- FatihSultanMehmet.jpg 265 × 342; 24 KB