Category:Priory of SS. Peter and Paul of Selskar by Wexford
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
|This object is indexed in the Archaeological Survey of Ireland under SMR No. WX037-032009-
Geographic information system of the National Monuments Service: Historic Environment Viewer – Database record.
English: The Priory of SS. Peter and Paul of Selskar by Wexford was founded before 1240 probably by the Marshal family as house of Augustinian canons. (The priory is also commonly called Selskar Abbey but was never an abbey.) The monastery was dissolved in 1540. In 1824–1826 a new Anglican church was erected on the site of the former choir, incorporating the medieval tower. This church was decommissioned in 1961 and afterwards dismantled. (See Aubrey Gwynn and R. Neville Hadcock: Medieval Religious Houses Ireland, pp. 197–198; entry 1481 in Michael J. Moore: Archaeological Inventory of County Wexford, ISBN 0-7076-2326-X, p. 162.) There is a separate category for the ruins of Selskar church. Please add to this category photos only where parts of the medieval ruins are to be seen and feel free to add to both categories if both apply.
Media in category "Priory of SS. Peter and Paul of Selskar by Wexford"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- Selskar Abbey, Wexford.jpg 186 KB