English: River is a village and civil parish in Kent, England, United Kingdom, situated between the historic town of Dover and the neighbouring village of Temple Ewell. "Village" is a somewhat loose term for River; it is a community of several thousand and is probably more usefully regarded as a suburb of Dover. After a period of rapid housing development in the 1960s and 1970s, the size and population of River has largely stabilised in recent decades, and little new development is now seen. This is partly because River lies in a steep chalk valley which affords little scope for further expansion. However, it is also true that the Dover area is historically not in the vanguard of high economic growth, being tied almost exclusively to the cross-channel port and various support industries, which have witnessed a gradual decline since the opening of the Channel Tunnel. In transport terms River is well connected, being close to the A2 and A20 trunk routes, having a railway station at Kearsney with direct services to London, and of course being only from the Port of Dover itself.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Crabble Mill (2 F)
Media in category "River, Kent"
The following 17 files are in this category, out of 17 total.
- Church of St Peter & St Paul, River.jpg 640 × 480; 65 KB
- Crabble Lane off Abbey Road - geograph.org.uk - 419246.jpg 640 × 480; 82 KB
- Dublin Man-O-War pub - geograph.org.uk - 419278.jpg 640 × 480; 60 KB
- Entering River on Minnis Lane - geograph.org.uk - 419292.jpg 640 × 480; 44 KB
- Farmland to the N of Coombe Road - geograph.org.uk - 419137.jpg 640 × 480; 57 KB
- Fly-tipping on Coombe Road - geograph.org.uk - 419147.jpg 640 × 480; 55 KB
- Gorse Hill - geograph.org.uk - 399876.jpg 480 × 640; 81 KB
- Lewisham Road, River - geograph.org.uk - 419281.jpg 640 × 480; 37 KB
- Looking SW along Coombe Road - geograph.org.uk - 416843.jpg 640 × 480; 43 KB
- The houses of Coxhill Gardens - geograph.org.uk - 423244.jpg 640 × 480; 77 KB
- View W along Abbey Road - geograph.org.uk - 419194.jpg 640 × 480; 69 KB