period of artistic, literary, and intellectual movement that started in 18th century Europe
|Instance of||cultural movement,|
|Subclass of||art style|
|Start time||18th century|
|End time||19th century|
Romanticism was an artistic and intellectual movement that originated in late 18th century Western Europe. It stressed strong emotion, imagination, freedom within or even from classical notions of form in art, and overturning of previous social conventions, particularly the position of the aristocracy. There was a strong element of historical and natural inevitablism in its ideas, stressing the importance of "nature" in art and language. Romanticism is also noted for its elevation of the achievements of what it perceived as heroic individuals and artists.
This category has the following 14 subcategories, out of 14 total.
- ► Costumbrismo (12 C, 38 F)
- ► Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel (9 C, 1 P, 27 F)
- ► Listed crucifix (Deák tér, Devecser) (3 F)
- ► National revivals (5 C)
- ► Romantic images of children (7 F)
Pages in category "Romanticism"
The following 2 pages are in this category, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Romanticism"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Combat Romantique Classique.jpeg 764 × 876; 209 KB
- Giovanna van den Eynde.png 509 × 681; 392 KB
- Grecian-Gothic neoclassical-romantic style-contrast 1816-Repton.jpg 1,123 × 850; 352 KB
- JMW Turner Montsoreau.jpg 3,514 × 2,313; 7.84 MB
- Louis Meijer - Kinderen op rots in volle zee.jpg 1,807 × 1,286; 287 KB
- Snowfall in Parallel Universe.jpg 1,280 × 960; 711 KB
- Walter Scott (1830).jpg 2,591 × 3,200; 5.96 MB