Spaceborne Imaging Radar-C and X-Synthetic Aperture Radar (SIR-C/X-SAR) mission is part of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) mission to planet earth, which began in 1991 to enhance our knowledge of the global environment. SIR-C/X-SAR data are improving our understanding of Earth's environment, including the global carbon cycle, the water cycle, climatic and geological processes, ocean circulation, and air-sea interactions. The multi-frequency SIR-C/X-SAR data, complemented by information from aircraft and ground studies, will give scientists clearer insights into environmental changes - those caused by nature as well as those induced by human activity.
SIR-C/X-SAR's radar waves penetrate clouds, and, under certain circumstances, can also penetrate vegetation., ice and dry sand. Acquiring data at night as well as during the day, the system allows scientists to make detailed studies of Earth's surface on a global scale, including new measurements such as biomass (surface plant material) and soil moisture.
A precursor to free-flyer satellite missions planned for later in the decade, SIR-C/X-SAR is the first spaceborne radar to simultaneously acquire data at multiple wavelengths and polarizations. The system is an evolution in technology for large-scale radar observations that began with Seasat in 1978 and continued with SIR-A in 1981 and SIR-B in 1984.
SIR-C was developed by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. X- SAR was developed by the Dornier and Alenia Spazio companies for the German space agency, Deutsche Agentur fuer Raumfahrtangelegenheiten (DARA), and the Italian space agency, Agenzia Spaziale Italiana (ASI).
Media in category "SIR-C/X-SAR"
The following 50 files are in this category, out of 50 total.
- Kufra-space-radar.jpg 94 KB
- PIA01844 modest rotated.jpg 121 KB
- Roter Kamm, PIA00503 md.jpg 3.87 MB
- Sakura-jima from space.jpg 3.15 MB
- SAR Kilauea.jpg 333 KB
- Sc-wshdc.gif 196 KB
- SIR-C X-SAR antenna.png 51 KB
- SIR-C X-SAR Safsaf Oasis 2.jpg 1.35 MB
- SIR-C X-SAR Safsaf Oasis.jpg 871 KB
- SIR-C X-SAR Ubar, Oman.gif 519 KB
- SIR-C X-SAR Weddell.gif 582 KB
- SIR-C-X-SAR-operations.png 279 KB
- SRTM SIR-C vs X-SAR.png 522 KB
- STS-68 payload bay view.jpg 2.91 MB
- Sts-68-patch.png 6.98 MB
- TEIDE.JPG 1.89 MB
- TNF-NASAmap-Labels.png 431 KB
- Topography of Bali.jpg 498 KB
- Weddelleddy.jpg 72 KB