Category:Second Bank of the United States
The Second Bank of the United States at 420 Chestnut Street between S. 4th and S. 5th Streets in the Center City area of Philadelphia was built in 1818-1824 and was designed by William Strickland in the Greek Revival style. The Bank itself was founded in 1816, and the design was the result of a competition, in which all entries had to use the Greek style. Strickland modeled his design on the Parthenon. When Andrew Jackson vetoed the bank's charter in 1832, it folded, and in 1844 Strickland altered the building for use as the U.S. Custom House, a role it served until 1935. It is now used as the Portrait Gallery of the Independence National Historic Park. (Source: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City)
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
- ► Branches of the Bank of the United States (2 C, 2 F)
Media in category "Second Bank of the United States"
The following 94 files are in this category, out of 94 total.