Category:Selskar Church, Wexford
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Selskar Church was a Gothic revival church built under the direction of the architects John Semple Senior (died c. 1841) and his son John Semple Junior (1801–1882) in 1824–1826 on the site of Selskar Priory of SS. Peter and Paul, a medieval foundation of the Augustinian Canons. While the old tower of the abbey was incorporated into the church, the original (and at that time still preserved) choir of the abbey was destroyed to make room for the new nave. The church was decommissioned in 1961 and afterwards dismantled. The church is also named Selsker Church or St. Selskar's Church but there is no saint named Selskar, it is the ancient parish name. Along with the remainings of the abbey it is registered under number 15502043 in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage. (See NIAH and DIA records and Billy Colfer: Wexford: A Town and Its Landscape, ISBN 978-185918-429-5, p. 177.) There is also a neighboring category for the Augustinian priory.
Media in category "Selskar Church, Wexford"
The following 12 files are in this category, out of 12 total.