Shimla (Hindi: शिमला, Punjabi: ਸ਼ਿਮਲਾ), originally called Simla, is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh in India. A popular tourist destination, Shimla is often referred to as the "Queen of Hills" (a term coined by the British). Shimla is located in the north-west Himalayas at an altitude of 2128 m. Shimla is connected to the city of Kalka (Haryana) by one of the longest narrow gauge railway routes still operating in India, the Kalka-Shimla Railway. The city is named after the goddess Shyamala Devi, an incarnation of the Hindu Goddess Kali.
|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
Capital of Himachal Pradesh, India
|Part of||Shimla District|
|Location||Shimla District, India|
|Elevation above sea level|
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Buildings in Shimla (14 C, 100 F)
- ► Culture of Shimla (5 C, 4 F)
- ► Education in Shimla (4 C, 3 F)
- ► Geography of Shimla (6 C, 68 F)
- ► History of Shimla (4 C, 1 P, 3 F)
- ► Nature of Shimla (3 C, 30 F)
- ► People of Shimla (9 C, 13 F)
- ► Transport in Shimla (4 C, 1 F)
- ► Unidentified locations in Shimla (empty)
Pages in category "Shimla"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "Shimla"
This category contains only the following file.
- Shimla.ogg 1.0 s; 16 KB