« IMPOSING DEMONSTRATION AT ITS UNVEILING YESTERDAY
The monument to the heroes Short and Wallick was officially unveiled yesterday afternoon. Church dignitaries, members of the local cabinet, and municipal representatives were present in full force, and notwithstanding the somewhat inclement weather, thousands of spectators gathered from all quarters of the city to see the ceremony.
There was a strong military display. All the local tropps, regulars and volunteers, as well as a detachment from Montreal, participated.
Mayor Fremont made a speech and Premier Mercier also had something to say. Both addresses were brief and to the point.
Between the speeches a number of wreathes were placed on the monument.
The bands then played, the troops marched away, and the people went home, having the busts of the two heroes uncovered on the hansome stone pedestal, to be pointed to in future years as two men who gallantly met their deaths while saving life and property at the great St. Sauveur fire (note. in 1889). »
|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
Media in category "Short-Walick Monument"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- 04214-Lieux Historique Manège Militaire de la Grande-Allée - 003.JPG 3,340 × 5,010; 5.17 MB
- Devoilement du monument Short-Wallick le 12 novembre 1891.jpg 1,432 × 912; 203 KB
- Monument Short-Walick 01.JPG 3,000 × 4,000; 1.23 MB
- Monument Short-Walick 02.JPG 4,000 × 3,000; 1.78 MB
- Québec Grande Allée.jpg 4,947 × 3,206; 8.38 MB
- WPQc-129 Monument en mémoire.JPG 3,340 × 5,010; 4.33 MB