English: A Showman's road locomotive or showman's engine is a steam-powered road-going 'locomotive' designed to provide power and transport for a travelling fair or circus. Similar to other road-going traction engines, showman's engines were normally distinguished by the addition of a full-length canopy, a dynamo mounted in front of the chimney, and brightly coloured paintwork with ornate decorations. The dynamo was used to generate electricity to illuminate and power various fairground rides. Although originally the ride's motion was powered by an internal steam engine, some later rides were driven direct from the showman's engine via a belt drive.
This category has the following 7 subcategories, out of 7 total.
- ► Aveling and Porter showman's engines (7 F)
- ► Scale model showman's engines (11 F)
Media in category "Showman's engines"
The following 16 files are in this category, out of 16 total.
- Carters2.jpg 2,816 × 2,112; 1.68 MB
- Dorset Steam Fair Showman's Engines At Night.JPG 2,048 × 1,536; 1.3 MB
- Fine Old Engine, North Crawley - geograph.org.uk - 1261850.jpg 640 × 480; 74 KB
- GDSF (2007) Shomans Engines at night.JPG 4,048 × 3,040; 4.25 MB
- On tour, Pickering - geograph.org.uk - 908139.jpg 640 × 453; 284 KB
- Showman's Engine - geograph.org.uk - 200174.jpg 426 × 640; 140 KB
- Showman's Engine at the Great Dorset Steam Fair.JPG 3,008 × 2,000; 2.27 MB
- Traction Engine Plate (2620718933).jpg 1,600 × 1,071; 259 KB
- Traction Engine Plate (2621540884).jpg 1,600 × 1,071; 209 KB
- Village life in Blunham - geograph.org.uk - 191385.jpg 640 × 480; 107 KB