Shravanabelagola is one of the oldest and most important Jain pilgrimage centres in India and the site of the huge 17-metre-high statue of Lord Bahubali (Gomateshvara), said to be the world's tallest monolithic statue. It overlooks the small town of Shravanabelagola in tne Indian state of Karnataka from the top of the rocky hill known as Indragiri. The word Shravanabelagola means the Monk on the top of the hill.
Gomateshvara Statue: The statue is the subject of the spectacular Mahamastakabhisheka ceremony, which takes place once every twelve years, when the small town of Shravanabelagola becomes a Mecca for thousands of pilgrims. The climax of the Mahamastakabhisheka involves anointing of Lord Bahubali's head with thousands of pots of coconut milk, yoghurt, ghee, bananas, jaggery, dates, almonds, poppy seeds, milk, gold coins, saffron and sandalwood.
|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
|Part of||Hassan District|
|Location||Hassan District, Kingdom of Mysore, Hoysala Empire, Maurya Empire, India|
|Elevation above sea level|
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Buildings in Shravanabelagola (1 C, 21 F)
- ► Chandragiri Hill (7 C, 136 F)
- ► History of Shravanabelagola (2 C)
- ► Inscriptions at Shravanabelagola (33 F)
- ► Paintings in Shravanabelagola (3 F)
- ► Shravaneri (10 F)
- ► Vindhyagiri Hill (5 C, 77 F)
Media in category "Shravanabelagola"
The following 12 files are in this category, out of 12 total.
- Bhandara basadi.jpg 960 × 661; 202 KB
- Footprint of Chandragupta Maurya.jpg 1,531 × 990; 1.71 MB
- Mahamastakabhisheka at Shravanabelagola in August 2018 2.jpg 3,600 × 5,401; 6.92 MB
- Mahamastakabhisheka at Shravanabelagola in August 2018.jpg 3,600 × 5,401; 6.88 MB
- Poetic old Kannada inscription of Bopanna dated 1180 CE at Shravanabelagola.jpg 1,032 × 1,820; 586 KB
- Shravanabelagola JainTemple View.jpg 5,561 × 2,494; 961 KB
- Shravanbelagola Town.jpg 4,288 × 3,216; 2.79 MB
- Shravanbelagola.jpg 5,496 × 3,670; 13.2 MB
- Town of Shravanbelagola.jpg 4,288 × 3,216; 2.99 MB
- Village roofs.jpg 5,184 × 3,456; 5.73 MB