Category:Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Allentown, Pennsylvania

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Soldier's and Sailors monument (1899) honoring American Civil War veterans from the 47th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. After the war had ended, Lehigh County and Allentown disagreed how the veterans of the war should be honored. In August of 1896, a petition was circulated to do something that most other counties in the state had already done, build a monument to local veterans. The proposal was overwhelmingly favored.

On June 26, 1899 the cornerstone was laid. Taking part in the services was Rev. Stephen Albion Repass, the pastor of Allentown's St. John's Lutheran Church, and a former Confederate veteran who had fought and was captured at Gettysburg. He was one of the few members of Picketts's charge to make it over the fabled stonewall, later known as the high water mark of the Confederacy. A box was placed at the base of the monument that included a cannonball from the battle of Bull Run and other items. October 19, 1899 was the date of the monument's dedication. It was selected by veterans because it was the anniversary of the Battle of Cedar Creek, Virginia. The 47th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment, the largest single regiment of local troops that fought in the war, had taken an active role in that Union victory.

Camera location40° 36′ 08″ N, 75° 28′ 18″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo

Media in category "Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Allentown, Pennsylvania"

The following 31 files are in this category, out of 31 total.