Category:Special territories of the European Union
Two parts of the treaty of the European Community deal with special relationships: Article 299 which sets out the territories to which the treaty applies, supplemented by the accession treaties; and Articles 182-188 and Annex II on association with the non-European countries and territories which have special relations with the member states.
The outermost regions are 9 regions (5 in France, 2 in Portugal, 2 in Spain) where EC law applies, but where it is possible to derogate to common EC legislation to take account of their remoteness. 
The overseas countries and territories (OCTs) are 26 countries or territories outside mainland Europe — essentially small islands – constitutionally tied with one of the following Member States: Denmark, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. (official list) that have a special relationship with one of the Member States of the European Community: 12 with the UK, 7 with France, 6 with the Netherlands, 1 with Denmark. Together with other countries they benefit from the European Development Fund (EDF) , not the Regional policy.
Several other dependencies of countries that are members of the European Union do not fall in the two previous categories, either because because they are located in Europe but most EC law applies to them (indirectly via the member country law and its national constitution) but with some restrictions listed in ratification instruments of the European treaties, or because there's an exclusion and EC law (except the European citizenship for European elections) does not apply directly to them (Greenland, Akrotiri and Dhekelia).
- Special member state territories and their relations with the EU
- European Union member states
- History of the European Union
- List of European Union pages
- List of dependent territories
This category has the following 14 subcategories, out of 14 total.
- ► Åland (15 C, 1 P, 54 F)
- ► Euroairport (5 C, 1 P, 10 F)
- ► Faroe Islands (24 C, 2 P, 74 F)
- ► Heligoland (29 C, 1 P, 92 F)
- ► Livigno (1 C, 1 P, 44 F)
- ► Melilla (24 C, 1 P, 4 F)
- ► Northern Cyprus (25 C, 2 P, 48 F)
- ► UN Buffer Zone in Cyprus (5 C, 26 F)