Category:Statue of Christopher Columbus in Colón, Panama
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
|Object location||View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
|This is the category of the panamanian cultural heritage monument with the ID 03-026-DCMH|
English: The bronze statue, sculpted by Vincenzo Vela, was presented to the people of Panama by Eugenia de Montijo (Empress Consort of the French) in 1867. It was displayed at the Exposition Universelle in Paris (1867). It was later shipped from Europe (April 1870) and installed on 1 May 1870 in the yard of the Panama Railroad. In December 1879, Count de Lesseps arranged to move the statue to a new location in the townsite of Cristobal, in front of his residence during his short stay in the city. When the Panama Canal Zone was established in 1904, the government of Panama attempted unsuccessfully to move the statue to Republic of Panama. In 1916, it was placed in the courtyard of the Washington Hotel, and in 1930, the United States government agreed that the statue belonged to the Republic of Panama, and allowed the statue to be move to Paseo Centario (now Juan Demóstenes Arosemena Boulevard). It was placed on a base designed by Engineer Genaro Ruggieri and re-inaugurated on 21 December 1930.
Media in category "Statue of Christopher Columbus in Colón, Panama"
The following 26 files are in this category, out of 26 total.
- 03-026-DCMHEstatuaColon.JPG 3.1 MB
- Colon statue 001.jpg 59 KB
- Colón y América.jpg 824 KB
- ESCULTURA CRISTOBAL COLON.JPG 4.31 MB
- Estatua CC.JPG 843 KB
- ESTATUA CRISTOBAL COLÓN.jpg 1.1 MB
- Estatuaa cristobal colon.jpg 501 KB
- Estcristobalcolon.jpg 499 KB
- Estratua cristobal colon.jpg 679 KB
- PLAZA CRISTOBAL.jpg 1.31 MB