Category:Sylvan Terrace (Manhattan)

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: Sylvan Terrace is a short street totally within the Jumel Terrace Historic District, a small New York City and national historic district located in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The street, located where West 161st Street would normally be, was originally the carriage drive of the Roger Morris estate. In 1882-83 twenty wooden houses, designed by Gilbert R. Robinson Jr., were constructed on the drive. Initially rented out to laborers and working class civil servants, the houses were restored in 1979-81. They are now some of the few remaining framed houses in Manhattan. Although some maps may show the street connecting with St. Nicholas Avenue at its west end, in fact it is a cul-de-sac, ending in a fence with a gate, with stairs leading down to the avenue.