The Jane hotel at 505-507 West Street on the corner of Jane Street in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City was built in 1907-08 as the American Seamen's Friend Society Sailors' Home and Institute, and was designed by William A. Boring as a hotel for sailors. It included a chapel, a concert hall, and a bowling alley, and a beacon played over the river from the polygonal observatory. In 1912, it was used to house the survivors of the sinking of the Titanic while the inquest was being held. In 1944, the YMCA took it over and ran it as the Jane West hotel. In the 1970s, the hotel's ballroom was converted into an Off-Broadway theatre, the Jane Street Theatre. The hotel was renamed the Riverview and fell on hard times, until it was renovated in 2008 and re-christened the Jane Hotel. (Sources: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.), "History" on the Jane Hotel website and NY Times article by Christopher Gray.)
Media in category "The Jane"
The following 2 files are in this category, out of 2 total.