From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: These are woodworking machines that produce a uniform thickness on a board (or anything else as the case may be, starting from a board that already has one flat surface formed on it by a surface planer. The rotating cutter head is mounted above a flat guiding surface.

In the USA, these are also known as "planers", which means a slightly different machine in the UK.

In Europe (as well as everywhere else in the world), a different combination machine has become popular, the planer-thicknesser. This performs both functions, although NOT simultaneously, normally requiring some adjustment between them.

See also Surface planers and Jointers