Category:Ticonderoga class aircraft carriers
The Ticonderoga-class carriers were Essex-class aircraft carriers modified with a clipper bow to allow the placement of a second 40 mm quadruple gun mount on the bows. The Ticonderogas are also often only regarded as the "long hull" group of the Essex-class. All Essex-class ships that underwent the postwar SCB-27A/C modifications finally received the clipper bows. However, the clipper bow caused excessive slamming into the seas. Therefore, all ships modernised during the SCB-125 program received an enclosed "hurricane bow".
This category has the following 14 subcategories, out of 14 total.
- ► USS Antietam (CV-36) (1 C, 25 F)
- ► USS Boxer (CV-21) (1 C, 30 F)
- ► USS Hancock (CV-19) (1 C, 66 F)
- ► USS Kearsarge (CV-33) (2 C, 22 F)
- ► USS Oriskany (CV-34) (3 C, 49 F)
- ► USS Shangri-La (CV-38) (1 C, 35 F)
- ► USS Ticonderoga (CV-14) (1 C, 69 F)
- ► USS Valley Forge (CV-45) (1 C, 37 F)