A traveling forge, when combined with a limber, comprised wagons specifically designed and constructed as blacksmith shops on wheels to carry the essential equipment necessary for blacksmiths, artisans (called Artificiers in the Army) and farriers to both shoe horses and repair wagons and artillery equipment for both U.S. and Confederate armies during the American Civil War, as well as by western European armies.
Media in category "Traveling forge"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.
- British 1840s Blacksmith Traveling Forge Wagon top view.jpg 1,718 × 1,095; 128 KB
- British 1840s Blacksmith Traveling Forge Wagon.jpg 1,583 × 758; 95 KB
- Civil War BatteryWagonDrawing.jpg 7,976 × 3,455; 791 KB
- Traveling Forge built by David Einhorn author of the book Civil War Blacksmithing.jpg 1,344 × 1,024; 229 KB
- WikipediaCWForgeDrawing.jpg 4,800 × 2,822; 438 KB