Category:W. H. Burford & Son
English: W. H. Burford and Son was a soap and candle-making business founded in Adelaide in 1840 by William Henville Burford (1807 – 1895), an English butcher who arrived in the new colony in 1838. It was one of the earliest soapmakers in Australia, and up to the 1960s when it closed, the oldest. Its expansion, (in the latter part of the 19th century and early part of the 20th century, at the hands of son William Burford) accompanied by a number of takeovers, made it the dominant soap manufacturer in South Australia and Western Australia, until it was in turn taken over by J. Kitchen & Sons, part of the Lever Brothers empire. Its founders were noted public figures in the young city of Adelaide.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.