Twenty years after dry-goods merchant A.T. Stewart died, the John Wanamaker Company purchased his gigantic emporium on 9th Street between Broadway and Lafayette Street in lower Manhattan, Mew York City, near Astor Place. In 1902, they built an annex, much more gigantic (14 stories vs. 5), and connected the two buildings with a skyway. The original building burned down, and is now an apartment buiding, but the Wanamaker Annex building still stands, used as an office building, with a Kmart on the ground floor and basements. The address of the east end of the full-block building (seen here) is 499 Lafayette Street, while the west end is 770 Broadway The view here is from Astor Place near the Cooper Union Foundation Building. (source: Museum of the City of New York)
Media in category "Wanamaker Annex"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.