Category:Winnipeg General Strike
|Instance of||general strike|
|Location||Winnipeg, Winnipeg Metropolitan Region, Manitoba, Canada|
|Start time||15 May 1919|
|End time||26 June 1919|
|Number of deaths|
|Number of injured|
The Winnipeg General Strike of 1919 was one of the most famous and influential strikes in Canadian history. For six weeks, May 15 to June 26, more than 30,000 strikers brought economic activity to a standstill in Winnipeg, Manitoba, which at the time was Canada's third largest city. In the short term, the strike ended in arrests, bloodshed and defeat, but in the long run it contributed to the development of a stronger labour movement and the tradition of social democratic politics in Canada.
Media in category "Winnipeg General Strike"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- Grève générale Winnipeg 1919.jpg 492 × 272; 69 KB
- Pathé News No. 57 - (excerpt) (Winnipeg General Strike) (1919).webm 1 min 25 s, 1,974 × 1,440; 70.81 MB
- RNWMP operations in Winnipeg General Strike, 1919.jpg 1,000 × 785; 139 KB
- Winnipeg general strike turns into a riot E004666106-v8.jpg 1,000 × 782; 152 KB
- Winnipeg general strike turns into a riot E004666107-v8.jpg 1,000 × 784; 148 KB
- Winnipeg Telegram Front Cover June 9 1919.png 705 × 833; 85 KB
- WinnipegGeneralStrike.jpg 595 × 480; 90 KB