Category:Zamorin of Calicut
historical kingdom in present-day Kerala, India
|Instance of||historical country,|
|Dissolved, abolished or demolished|
Samoothiri (English: Zamorin; Portuguese: Samorim, Dutch: Samorijn) is the hereditary title of the Hindu monarch of the kingdom of Calicut on Malabar Coast, India. The Samoothiris were based at the city of Calicut, one of the important trading ports on the south-western coast of India. At the peak of their reign, the Samoothiri's ruled over the coastal region from Quilon to Quilandy.
The Samoothiris maintained elaborate trade relations with the Chinese and Muslim Middle-Eastern sailors in the Indian Ocean, the primary spice traders on the Malabar Coast in the Middle Ages. Kozhikode was then an important entrepôt in south-western India where Chinese and West Asian trade met.
The Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama visited the city of Calicut in 1498, opening the sailing route directly from Europe to Asia. The Portuguese efforts to lay the foundations to Estado da Índia, and to take complete control over the commerce was repeatedly hampered by the forces of Samoothiri of Calicut. By the end of the 16th century the Portuguese – now commanding the spice traffic on the Malabar Coast – had succeeded in replacing the Muslim merchants in the Arabian Sea. The Dutch supplanted the Portuguese in the 17th century, only to be followed by the English.
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Media in category "Zamorin of Calicut"
The following 21 files are in this category, out of 21 total.
- 16th Century Malabarese Nayar.png 548 × 647; 833 KB
- Chera King's Sword given to the Zamorin of Calicut.png 981 × 198; 400 KB
- Demon of Calicut.jpg 1,500 × 1,728; 306 KB
- Duarte Pacheco's victory at Battle of Cochin (1504) (cropped).jpg 854 × 574; 140 KB
- Duarte Pacheco's victory at Battle of Cochin (1504).jpg 1,300 × 949; 239 KB
- Ettanettan Tampuran, the Zamorin of Calicut.jpg 500 × 731; 256 KB
- K C Manavedan Raja.jpg 344 × 409; 29 KB
- King of Cochin and small Malabar boats.jpg 491 × 672; 102 KB
- King of Kozhikode (the Zamorin) with his entourage (cropped).jpg 796 × 592; 264 KB
- King of Kozhikode (the Zamorin) with his entourage (cropped1).jpg 210 × 359; 46 KB
- King of Kozhikode (the Zamorin) with his entourage.jpg 800 × 890; 288 KB
- Location of the kingdom of Zamorins in India.jpg 1,512 × 1,505; 157 KB
- Map of Samoothiris kingdom.jpg 2,400 × 3,000; 700 KB
- Muccunti Mosque Iscription (cropped).JPG 1,649 × 2,736; 1.91 MB
- Muccunti-inscription.JPG 2,304 × 3,072; 2.52 MB
- Page1088hookswinging.jpg 1,382 × 2,524; 634 KB
- Small vessels used in Malabar.jpg 1,100 × 698; 194 KB
- The Palace of the Zamorin of Calicut (cropped).jpg 3,176 × 2,489; 2.11 MB
- The Palace of the Zamorin of Calicut.jpg 6,146 × 4,782; 6 MB
- Zamorin of Calicut (1868-1892).jpg 296 × 419; 67 KB
- Zamorin of Calicut.jpg 602 × 693; 205 KB