Category talk:Atmospheric optical phenomena
Proposition of reviewing and fusion of Category:Atmospheric optical phenomena + Category:Atmospheric optical phenomena of Earth
As I have already commented here http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category_talk:Polar_aurora , I believe these cats need deep reviewing.
The distinction that is made between the two is unnecessary, and the way it is explained on several subcat pages is misleading, even at times wrong.
Category:Atmospheric optical phenomena presently contains the following subcats which are absolutely not related to Atmospheric optics:
- Meteors: this features in Astronomy, through subcats Meteoroids > Solar System, etc. which is OK.
- Zodiacal Light: this is possibly the worst mistake here: Zod Light is solid dust orbiting around the Sun! Much farther away than our atmosphere. It also features in Solar System, because I just added it there, it did not before... and also in Tyndall effect, this being the only category yet to deal with Light scattering (I have also suggested Tyndall effect to be renamed Light scattering, on its Discuss page).
- Sunrise, Sunset, Twilight, Midnight Sun: no At Optics effects here, just plain sunlight.
On the other hand,
- Rainbows belong to Atmosph Optics all right.
By contrast, all subcats of Category:Atmospheric optical phenomena of Earth are Atmosph Optics, the only wrong thing being its name!
There is no justification in keeping that distinction (of Earth) at the general At Optics cat level. The only known phenomenon so far to happen on other planets is Aurora, and images of these might go into specific Aurora subcats, if needed. There are only 3 of them anyway so far.
Aurora is also a phenomenon that is not strictly speaking At Optics, as it requires particles coming from space. However, it is traditionally considered a branch of At Optics, and should stay for this reason. Airglow is a similar case (there is no subcat for it, not needed yet).
My proposal is to transfer all subcats of Atmospheric optical phenomena of Earth to Atmospheric optical phenomena, to remove all present subcats of Atmospheric optical phenomena except Rainbows, and to delete Atmospheric optical phenomena of Earth.
More in detail, I have diffused and checked most At Optics images.
I created 2 new subcats: Shadows (atmospheric optics) and Subhorizon arcs (a subcat of Halo phenomena, to which I have moved the 3 lonely images formerly in Subparhelia and Subsun sub-subcats, which might now be deleted).
A fews images should remain in the Atmospheric optical phenomena root: general diagrams, a few unidentified or lonely cases.
18.104.22.168 03:37, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
- I mainly agree with you, however, the categories should be included in Category:Atmospheric optical phenomena of Earth withour deleting it, as it is possible to have Category:Atmospheric optical phenomena of Mars or other planets with an atmosphere. --Ruthven (msg) 10:07, 5 January 2017 (UTC)
Moved Category:Rainbows to Category:Atmospheric optical phenomena of Earth
For consistency's sake, since no answer was made to my proposal of 3 years ago =)
Category:Atmospheric optical phenomena is now totally devoid of Atmospheric optical phenomena!
22.214.171.124 22:29, 3 April 2012 (UTC)