Category talk:Cathedrals in Hungary
I would say that a cathedral is a church too and that this cat should be a daughter of Category:Churches in Hungary. This choice was made for almost all the countries I checked (Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Poland) and I changed the few cathedral-cats which were not (Hungary, Netherlands, France) accordingly, just to make the system predictable. However, I was reverted. What to do? Fransvannes 07:09, 11 October 2007 (UTC)
- Category:Churches is a category about “religious buildings”, that is buildings which were built for religious purpose. That doesn't mean they are currently consecrated churches.
- In a religious context, “a cathedral is a church”, but Wikimedia Commons is not a Christian project. Our purpose is to find pictures of cathedrals, not to learn that a consecrated cathedral is a consecrated Christian church that contains the seat of a bishop.
- So, in my opinion, “religious buildings” categories must remain the standard way to find pictures about cathedrals. Categorization in “churches” is acceptable when a “religious buildings” category doesn't exist for the location. --Juiced lemon 08:59, 11 October 2007 (UTC)
- If, In a religious context, “a cathedral is a church”, in which context a cathedral is not a church, then? Please note that Category:Cathedrals is a daughter of Category:Churches as well. True, it's also a daughter of Category:Religious buildings. Would it be a solution to put the cathedrals under Churches as well as under Religious buildings? Not my choice (because more complicated than needed), but it could be a compromise.
- I hope you agree that the construction for the Hungarian cathedrals, for predictability's sake, should be the same as the one for e.g. the Austrian ones. Fransvannes 09:43, 11 October 2007 (UTC)