Category talk:Districts of Barcelona
Detailed district maps are reachable here: http://www.bcn.es/publicacions/Cartografia/index.htm --Jordiferrer (talk) 07:15, 11 September 2011 (UTC)
(copy from my user talk)
Most of the districts of Barcelona do not have the word "District" at the English wikipedia page names. It is only added when a disambiguation is needed. This only happens with "Les Corts", which is both a district and also a neighborhood. You have added "District" to all the 10 districts at commons. Why? Is there a specific reason? --Jordiferrer (talk) 11:38, 19 May 2015 (UTC)
- On top of that, Eixample District is an ambiguous name. It can refer to the district located in Barcelona or in Valencia. See: Category:Eixample (Valencia). A better and more clear name is Category:Eixample (Barcelona).--Jordiferrer (talk) 11:43, 19 May 2015 (UTC)
- Good point. Then please look at Category:Maps of Eixample, Category:Streets in Eixample and tell me what that is about? FreightXPress (talk) 11:48, 19 May 2015 (UTC)
Because, it is about the districts. There are other meanings of the words. The scope of Commons is much larger than that of English Wikipedia. See for example: ca:Sant Andreu. FreightXPress (talk) 11:46, 19 May 2015 (UTC)
- Category:Eixample District - in Valencia and Barcelona
- ca:Sant Andreu - several meanings, so if users upload images it could result in miscategorization if only the plain name, without clarification for what type of object the category is about
- ca:Ciutat Vella - generic word, so if a Catalan-speaker - or any other language that uses these words, uploads an image of some Old Town, it could lead to miscategorization
- Ciutat Vella District - in Barcelona and in Valencia
Here you have a summary of the 10 districts:
- If we use "Eixample District (Barcelona)" we are using a very long name and doing a double disambiguation. In this case it is better to just use Eixample (Barcelona). Everybody will understand we refer to the district in Barcelona.
- In the similar case of Ciutat Vella, the best is to use "Ciutat Vella (Barcelona)". This way we differentiate it from Ciutat Vella (Valencia)
- In the case of Les Corts District, let's keep it, as it is a good disambiguation.
- In the case of Sant Andreu District and also Sant Martí district, both are a good disambiguation.
- In the case of Gràcia, it is also a good disambiguation, as Gràcia can have more meanings such as the old village.
- The other 4 districts do not need a disambiguation at all. We should remove the word District for the following 4 ones: Horta-Guinardó, Nou Barris, Sants-Montjuïc, Sarrià-Sant Gervasi.--Jordiferrer (talk) 19:26, 19 May 2015 (UTC)