Category talk:Location maps
What is the new standard used? Please explain this in the introduction to the category. Also, it needs to be named in the category name. "Location maps" by itself is confusing, and maps using other standards will be put here too unless the category name is more specific.
- I hope the category name is better now: Category:Location maps (2008 standard), with short explanation how these files have to be made. But I fear it was quite a mistake to create a new category, not to move this one. I'm not sure how to handle it now. Deleting this one together with this discussion? I hope I didn't create too much trouble. --NNW (talk) 11:11, 18 July 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks. I added a redirect tag to this old category. It doesn't matter to me if the talk is copied or not to the new category talk page. Feel free to change the category name again if necessary. :)
- I'm really not sure that creating a sub-category “Location maps (2008 standard)” was a good idea. This could mean there will be a 2009, 2010, etc. standard, which will probably not be the case. There's only one try for a common standard on this type of maps, established by the WP-de in relation with the WP-fr so we can consider it's the standard de facto as no other one exists. Because of this I think there should only be Category:Location maps and if a new (and better) standard is set in a few years it will be time to rename these cats or modify the maps so they follow the new standard. If we follow the logic of the current naming, the maps should also be named “XXX location map (2008 standard).svg”... You understand what I mean... I added a link in the warning template for “standard” so people will have a better idea about the current colorimetric convention.
- If nobody disagrees I'd like to propose the suppression of Category:Location maps (2008 standard) in order to keep only Category:Location maps, as well as renaming Template:2008 Standard Location maps in Template:Location maps, all this for simplification.
- About the name “Location maps”, I don't see what's confusing: in English, the word is clearly linked to the related page of WP-en where this expression is used for these maps. The confusion could be with Category:Locator maps as the names are close one from each other, but I see also there's no explanation on that cat's page saying what kind of maps they are. Sting (talk) 15:34, 31 July 2008 (UTC)