Category talk:Luf (Humboldt Forum)
I am against this category being moved
The old Category contains outdated photos from 2006. Meanwhile the ship moved to another place, the background looks quite different. If the new photos and the old photos are mixed in one category, it might lead to confusion, or all photos have to be renamed and include the year 2021. --Plenz (talk) 17:59, 16 June 2022 (UTC)
- The new category:Ship from Luv (Ethnological Museum Berlin) is certainly better.Munfarid1 (talk) 14:50, 28 June 2022 (UTC)
- I have spent some days trying to understand what is going on at the Humboldt Forum. Belatedly I understood several collections from the Dahlem collections are waiting to be displayed in the East Wing and are not yet public. I am beginning to suppose that the boat’ display was opened early. So the boats were grouped. Possibly the other objects were displayed later or of no interest to visitors. Cultures in Ozeanien without boats on display have received sub-categories as cultures. Like Hawaii ( Humboldt Forum ) and Marquesas (Humboldt Forum), neither showing boats. I have come across other cultural objects from Luf, not boats. I suggest the name Luf (Humboldt Forum) remains (and can be filled with other objects than the boat), but all boat pictures are moved to the Ship from Luf (Ethnological Museum Berlin) category. There may also be created a sub-category for “Ozeanien boats” to put the displays in the room with boats together. Dosseman (talk) 09:34, 8 August 2022 (UTC)
- As a foreigner and just passing by I notice that the proposed category is indeed the one in an old museum. And to get from there, using the current categories, to the Humboldt Forum location one has to take many steps to get to the right category. So if the content of Luf (Humboldt Forum) is simply moved to the category Ship from Luf (Ethnological Museum Berlin) that is not an improvement, recent pictures in a current setting being moved to a museum that has changed funciton.
- I think that if people do some research they'll find that goes for many of the categories now on the Museum Island and Berlin in general. Many museums and their collections are on the move and it will get worse when for instance the Pergamon museum will have finished the restoration, and many other collections move again. Might it be an idea to start categories like "Ethnographic collections in Berlin through time housed in different places" and try and put some order in those?" And maybe add some explanatory text or even put the links in a central (time) table?
- As for keeping this name: it suggests the boat is all there is, whereas there may (now or later) be added pictures of other aspects of the culture. So extending the name to "Luf (Humboldt Forum) or something along those lines might be better.
- And then there are some pictures of another, much smaller boat in the category. Someone must have thought "A boat is a boat". Or are there two types of boat?