Category talk:Maps of Kurdish-inhabited regions
This category name is a nonsense. Kurdish-inhabited regions are not an encyclopedic subject, but what ethnic maps relating to Kurds show.
Most of the maps are in Category:Maps of Kurdistan and Category:Maps of Iraqi Kurdistan, so I don't think a category like Category:Maps relating to Kurds (see Category:Maps relating to Celts) would be useful. --Juiced lemon 17:34, 3 September 2007 (UTC)
- Kurdistan is a highly controversial political term. Category:Maps relating to Kurdish people would be fine. Category:Maps relating to Celtistan would not. -- Cat ちぃ？ 17:45, 3 September 2007 (UTC)
(unindent) We now have Category:Maps of Kurdish-inhabited regions and Category:Maps of Iraqi Kurdistan. I moved the maps in the "Maps of Kurdistan" category to those 2 categories. The news media today uses "Kurdistan" to refer to w:Iraqi Kurdistan. See this Sept. 2, 2007 Chicago Tribune article:
"Kurdistan is working," said Ashti Hawrami, the Kurdistan Regional Government's minister of oil and gas. "If we sit down and do nothing we are not doing our job. We are doing our job for the country."
So I think this category breakdown is clearer for the average reader of wikipedia and the news. And it avoids the confusion surrounding the old and new meanings of Kurdistan. See the geography section of w:Kurdistan. I believe wikipedia is supposed to lean toward the common names today.--Timeshifter 18:21, 3 September 2007 (UTC)
- Your assertion about usage of “Kurdistan” in the news media is wrong and irrelevant. I wonder if you really understand how news articles are written.
- Anyway, the news media cannot cancel an established and more one century old usage. Commons reference about Kurdistan is the English Wikipedia article. Since “Kurdistan” is an encyclopedic subject, media files about Kurdistan will be categorized in Category:Kurdistan and subcategories (that is Category:Maps of Kurdistan for maps).
- Note also that “Kurdish people” and “Kurdistan” are two different subjects, and that we can have maps for these two different subjects. --Juiced lemon 20:16, 3 September 2007 (UTC)
(unindent) Note the label on this CIA map:
It says "Kurdish inhabited area". It does not say Kurdistan. The category still exists: Category:Kurdistan.
But that one century old usage of the word "Kurdistan" is changing. Wikipedia uses the common names. So now we are using all these names:
By the way, I did not create this category:
I and others are just adapting to the changing common names. --Timeshifter 20:46, 3 September 2007 (UTC)
- This image is an small insert on a map of Turkey and the surrounding area. The caption says "Kurdish inhabited area", because it is not a map of Kurdistan.
- Try to read what I write (above):
- Kurdish people” and “Kurdistan” are two different subjects. --Juiced lemon 21:49, 3 September 2007 (UTC)