Category talk:Photographs by Lee Cannon
Rip-off photos with fake EXIF from Flickr user Lee Cannon
Exif says: 20:49, 20 April 2010, OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA… In my usual toil of diffusing the logjam at Category:Lisbon, I come across these photos, uploaded from Flickr by the tireless (even if often un-meticulous…) Tm, which I prepared to diffuse in Category:Trams in Lisbon:
- File:Lisbon, Portugal April 2010 (5118918895).jpg Neutral — seems legit?
- File:Lisbon, Portugal April 2010 (5127713174).jpg Delete — someone elses’ under unfree license
- File:Lisbon, Portugal April 2010 (5127713184).jpg Neutral — seems legit?
- File:Lisbon, Portugal April 2010 (5127713170).jpg Delete — dupe of someone elses’ under free license
The latter immediately catch my eye as a duplicate of already existing File:Eléctrico em Lisboa.jpg, and I assumed that Tm was back in his bad ways of reuploading photos from Flickr a second time just to get into Commons meanwhile added info (usually geolocation), or for no reason at all. However comparing both images’ data, including their Flickr pages, shows that Flickr user Lee Cannon not only uploaded as his own (a lowres dupe of) someone else’s photo but he also doctored its EXIF to contain his name and a different camera brand.
I’m now worried that other photos uploaded from this Flickr stream may suffer from the same problem, bring over to Commons images that may be copyrighted and which are misdated, miscredited, and misdescribed in general. We have a Category:Photographs by Lee Cannon, but it doesn’t contain (yet) any of these few problematic images, and a search for his name shows many more.
- Maybe this relates to my posting below under MediaWiki:Metadata-help. Should we include a general note of caution about the correctness and authenticity of EXIF data? --Northernhenge (talk) 18:39, 3 July 2013 (UTC)
- May be, but that's not really the issue here.
- @Tuvalkin, we should consider this Flickr-account as unreliable and, if possible, check all related uploads. If there are more of such copyfrauds, all images should be deleted and the Flickr-account put into COM:QFI. Eventually one might consider notifying either the copyfrauder or the original photographer. --Túrelio (talk) 19:12, 3 July 2013 (UTC)
- Now I've commented at http://www.flickr.com/photos/leecannon/5127713170/. Let's see what happens. --Túrelio (talk) 19:24, 3 July 2013 (UTC)
- I commented in the flickr page of the 2 tram photo — so lets see. It is a pity, really, as it seems that most of his material is really his (or ripped off very consistently and with no forgeries) and that inlcludes some really great shots such as this US-MD flag photo and lots of very informative photo coverage of local fire fighting, railway, boating, and heritage items — while a few items, among those of random turism destinations abroad, are lowres photos with iffy EXIF data. -- Tuválkin ✉ 02:10, 4 July 2013 (UTC)