Category talk:Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
- Jim, I'm not sure of that, but I'll tell you my reasoning for putting some of the R.C. churches in this category: we have a category for Category:Roman Catholic churches in New York, but because New York (Manhattan) and Brooklyn were seperate cities until they were combined into Greater New York City, they are also separate Archdioceses. I'm not completely aware of the territorial boundaries of each, but basically the A. of NY cover Manhattan, the Bronx and Westchester (and perhaps other counties to the north), while the A. of Brooklyn covers Brooklyn and points east. Thus, marking a R.C. church as being in New York City doesn't necessarily mark it as being in the Archdiocese of New York, which is why I've been adding this category (supplementing, not replacing the other) on R.C. churches in Manhattan.
Perhaps my reasoning is faulty, but that's it nonetheless. Perhaps it would be better to make new categories for "Roman Catholic churches in the Archidiocese of New York" etc.? What do you think? Beyond My Ken (talk) 20:37, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- According to the en.wiki article:
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York covers New York, Bronx, and Richmond counties in New York City (coterminous with the boroughs of Manhattan, The Bronx, and Staten Island, respectively), as well as Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, and Westchester counties in New York state. There are 480 parishes. The Archdiocese of New York is the metropolitan see of the ecclesiastical province of New York which includes the suffragan dioceses of Brooklyn, Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Ogdensburg, and Rockville Centre.
- Beyond My Ken (talk) 20:43, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- According to the en.wiki article:
- If we get pix of diocean office buildings, yes we'll need a separate cat for the churches in the diocese; otherwise they would all go directly here. The Province of New York is almost the same territory as the State, and the diocean structure doesn't recognize the 1898 municipal consolidation (unless you count "Petropolitana in Insula Longa") so all the dioceses can exist separately as subcats of RC Churches in NY. A few years from now at present rates we'll want to break down RC Churches by county even though the Church pays little attention to counties, and I see no reason for a strong preference for doing it sooner or later. Jim.henderson (talk) 21:36, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- If I understand what your saying, it's that this category should be held for things specficially connected to the Archdiocese, and not for churches, and that at some future time when the category is better populated, the category "Roman Catholic churches in New York" should be broken down by county, rather than by diocese, or perhaps both? If that's the case, should I remove the churches that I added to this category (first making sure that they're all already in the "R.C. churches in NY" cat)? Beyond My Ken (talk) 21:47, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- Ah. We've got precedents. In Category:Archdiocese of Naples and several others in Italy, Germany, Poland and Austria, the category is for diocesan coats of arms, maps, portraits of the Bishop and others having to do with the diocese as a whole, while parish churches are all in a subcat. Australia, no, but I prefer the European precedents. That's the way; check for precedents and, unless they are apparently wrong and ought to be challenged, do as others have already done. As for the day when the Archdiocesan church cat has a couple hundred pix and subcats, yes that's when to make county-denominational cats whose parents are, umm, we can worry when we come to it. Jim.henderson (talk) 22:43, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- OK, so I've created Category:Churches in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York and moved the churches into it, leaving the Archdiocese categeory free for coats of arms, maps, etc. Beyond My Ken (talk) 00:12, 24 March 2011 (UTC)
- Wow, are the majority of pix in question mine? I didn't realize until I started adjusting the categories. Anyway I meant the cat for RC Churches in this Diocese to be a child of Category: Roman Catholic churches in New York since, well, that's what they are. Ditto for the Buffalo diocese and others after they have accumulated. I won't be doing much Wiki business this weekend and maybe longer due to limited Web time, hence won't finish this church work until midweek at best. Many churches have not yet been moved to Category:Churches in Manhattan, New York City and other borough cats, and such cats haven't even been created for schools which are accumulating only in type subcats of Category:Schools in New York City and ought to have borough school cats as well. And lots more to do but as I said, a few hours from now I'll be forced into something of a temporary wikibreak. Jim.henderson (talk) 17:34, 25 March 2011 (UTC)