Category talk:Wakefield, West Yorkshire (city)
Oppose If there is a primary topic here its Wakefield, the city in West Yorkshire - the city in Massachussets is next largest and is 1/3 the size. I'm not convinced that is a sufficient margin to make this one primary, especially with the sheer number of settlements.
However, that's not really the point here. We need a way of disambiguating Wakefield from Wakefield. Moving the category about the settlement to Category:Wakefield, West Yorkshire does not resolve this, as that's still ambiguous (one effect is BotmultichillT will incorrectly dump Geograph files of the broader district in the settlement's cat regardless). The district category is similarly ambiguous is Category:City of Wakefield about the city or the district? Both the settlement and district categories should be renamed to something that makes distinction clear (unless the settlement is kept as primary topic).--Nilfanion (talk) 21:05, 15 August 2011 (UTC)
- Comment So I did a bit of reading . This pdf with 2001 Census details has a clear map of what all falls under City of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council.
- The Metropolitan borough, who refers to itself as "the district" on the first link above, includes settlements: Category:Outwood, West Yorkshire, Category:Wrenthorpe, Category:Ossett, Category:Horbury, Category:Middlestown, Category:Netherton (which is actually then in Category:Netherton, Kirklees but see  and the map on above census pdf which probably means is not part of Kirklees), Category:West Bretton, Category:Stanley, West Yorkshire, Category:Wakefield, Category:Walton, Wakefield, Category:Crigglestone, Category:Woolley, West Yorkshire, Category:Altofts, Category:Normanton, West Yorkshire, Category:Sharlston, Category:Crofton, West Yorkshire, Category:Walton, Wakefield, Category:Notton, Category:Ryhill, Category:South Hiendley, Category:Castleford, West Yorkshire, Category:Pontefract, Category:Featherstone,Category:Ackworth, West Yorkshire, Category:Kinsley, West Yorkshire, Category:Hemsworth, Category:South Kirkby, Category:Knottingley, Category:Upton, West Yorkshire and Category:South Elmsall. (I might have missed one or two, as I'm taking these off the map from the first website). They refer to Wakefield itself as The City.
- Maybe the way to do it is to call one Category:Wakefield (district), West Yorkshire or the full Category:City of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council and the other Category:Wakefield, West Yorkshire. A rename for Category:Walton, Wakefield is also needed, possibly to Category:Walton, West Yorkshire in line with the rest. From the list above, some settlements are categorised under "Wakefield", some under "City of Wakefield" and some just under neither.
- Hope that helps. -- Deadstar (msg) 13:43, 16 August 2011 (UTC)
- "City of Wakefield Metropolitan District" would work for the district (the full "... Council" should be used for media about the council, not the district itself). Some simplified versions of that name also work, as long as "district" is retained. "City of Wakefield" really doesn't say "district".
- My big concern is the category about the settlement - moving it to Category:Wakefield, West Yorkshire means it is still ambiguous. Its reasonable to assert that the city, not the district, is primary topic for "Wakefield, West Yorkshire", but if possible I'd prefer not to go there ;) It also won't prevent further categorisation errors by the bots, unless a special exception is written in.
- The simplest option to my mind, that fully resolves the ambiguity problems is to use Category:Wakefield, West Yorkshire (city) and Category:Wakefield, West Yorkshire (district). That's ugly and uses two different disambiguation styles - commas and brackets - but it does at least work.
- And a side note, agree the categorisation here is poor. That is part of why files got dumped here by bot in first place - it couldn't find the lower level categories to resolve it.--Nilfanion (talk) 22:02, 16 August 2011 (UTC)
- Note that Category:Walton, Wakefield is at that location as Category:Walton, Leeds is also in West Yorkshire - so a rename there wouldn't be helpful.--Nilfanion (talk) 22:04, 16 August 2011 (UTC)
- I agree with your suggestion: Category:Wakefield, West Yorkshire (city) and Category:Wakefield, West Yorkshire (district). -- Deadstar (msg) 07:46, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- No problem with me. Might be the moment to tackle systematically all UK cases where there is a mix-up with city and country/district/borough names. --Foroa (talk) 12:25, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
Move back to 'Wakefield'
The title for this category is silly. It is by far the main 'Wakefield' and should be reverted to. The title 'City of Wakefield' is enough to set the Metropolitan District apart. This seems nitpicky to say the least. Mtaylor848 (talk) 16:57, 5 April 2012 (UTC)