Category talk:Water castles

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

What is a "water castle"?[edit]

The correct term in English for a castle surrounded by a moat (which is what these castles are) is 'moated castle'. This should be moved to *Moated castles. An alternative would be *Castles with moats. "Water castle" sounds like the castle itself is made of water and in any case is not the usual or correct term in English (the 'en' interwiki link here - en:Water castle - redirects to en:Moat). Anatiomaros (talk) 23:56, 15 September 2010 (UTC)

Relevant remark for English, but water castle is much better known in other languages. --Foroa (talk) 13:16, 17 September 2010 (UTC)
In some other languages - but surely not all? - a term meaning "water castle" is used, such as Wasserschlösser (German). That is true. But I have never come across the term "water castle" in English-language books about castles and the Middle Ages. It would seem to have been created here as a literal translation of the German term. But we use English terms for our category names (obvious exceptions being place names, proper names and terms originating in other languages which are the accepted term in English, e.g. dolmen or cromlech). Therefore we should use the standard English term, not an invented one. Anatiomaros (talk) 18:55, 17 September 2010 (UTC)
I think that we have to do more homework. Water castle or simular is used in at least 5 to 7 languages that I know of. The en:Water castle has been there unchallenged for more than 3 years, so it cannot be that much invented. en:Narrow Water Castle is another example in English. An google seems to find twice as much water castles than moated castles. --Foroa (talk) 21:20, 17 September 2010 (UTC)
Thanks for the feedback, Foroa. Actually, en:Water castle is a redirect to en:Moat. It's no longer a separate article. Why? Please see this comment on the now-redirected talk page of en:Water castle. I agree entirely with those comments. Narrow Water Castle is a different matter - it means "Castle of Narrow Water" ("the townland of Narrow Water, in Newry and Mourne District Council district") and so is not an example of "water castle" as a term. I suspect that the en:Water castle article was created by somebody translating a term that is familiar to them in their own language into English. As the user Cyclopedia says on 'en', "What's a "water castle"? In 30 years of studying castles I've never heard the term before."[1]. That neatly sums up my own reaction when I saw this category. Anatiomaros (talk) 22:35, 17 September 2010 (UTC)