(Redirected from Cloister)Jump to navigation Jump to search
open space surrounded by covered walks or open galleries
|Subclass of||sacred architecture,|
|Facet of||enclosed religious order|
English: A cloister is a covered walk, open gallery running along the walls of buildings and forming an enclosed space, commonly in the form of a green square (called cloister garden) with surrounding colonnades, that forms the central part of a monastery. However, it is not a monastery or abbey but only a possible part thereof. Hence, the German and Swedish term Kloster, the Dutch klooster or Polish klasztor translate to monastery but not to cloister.
This category has the following 24 subcategories, out of 24 total.
- ► Armarium (12 F)
- ► The Cloisters (16 C, 2 P, 184 F)
- ► Monastery cloisters (1 C)
- ► Cloisters of Riga Dome Cathedral (38 F)
- ► Cloister (Viollet-le-Duc) (41 F)
Media in category "Cloisters"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- 500px photo (234618551).jpeg 2,048 × 1,666; 336 KB
- Bethanien1.jpg 483 × 600; 273 KB
- Church of Saint Catherine courtyard, Bethlehem 5.jpg 2,848 × 4,272; 3.7 MB
- Cloisters at Akbar's Tomb (c. 1907).jpg 750 × 1,021; 564 KB
- Figure of Double Cloister.jpg 600 × 400; 18 KB
- Figure of Single Cloister.jpg 600 × 400; 17 KB
- Model of Double Cloister.jpg 2,542 × 1,512; 317 KB