Commons:Batch uploading/Freshwater and Marine Image Bank
Freshwater and Marine Image Bank
The Freshwater and Marine Image Bank from the Digital Collections at the University of Washington states:
- "Materials in the Freshwater and Marine Image Bank are in the public domain. No copyright permissions are needed. Acknowledgement of the Freshwater and Marine Image Bank as a source for borrowed images is requested."
The entire library can be browsed here: 
These photos would be useful in the many marine and freshwater life articles of the Wikipedias. The images are encyclopedic and are very high quality.
The digital collection has been "closed" since June, but the site is still accessible. My guess is the site will shut down within a few days (whenever their webspace subscription ends).
Um...no responses yet? Perhaps I should revisit the fact this database isn't supposed to be up much longer. Either we take the images now or they might not be there a few months from now. Bob the Wikipedian (talk) 01:23, 28 July 2009 (UTC)
- I would like to echo the great potential utility of the UW image database! In many of the subjects of particular interest to me (e.g. North Pacific marine ecology, marine mammals, Pacific salmon, sturgeon species, indigenous people) the collection is a real goldmine. Somebody, whoever is out here making such magical batch uploads possible, please respond! Best, Eliezg (talk) 21:13, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
- Simply looping from http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/fishimages&CISOPTR=32550 to http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/fishimages&CISOPTR=53764 gives you all the required data for the collections. I don't know however how to extract the images themselves.
- Ok I found out a way to do so, using getimage.exe ... just use this code: http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/fishimages&CISOPTR=52164&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=MAX&DMHEIGHT=MAX&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0 while looping "CISOPTR" number. So the images are from http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/fishimages&CISOPTR=32550&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=MAX&DMHEIGHT=MAX&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0 to http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/fishimages&CISOPTR=53764&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=MAX&DMHEIGHT=MAX&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0 with the different metadata grabbable as described above...--Diaa abdelmoneim (talk) 16:45, 17 October 2009 (UTC)
I'm planning on tackling this request, but I need for some advice on how to construct the pages for the files.
- A lot of the files have geographic location data in the nice format COUNTRY--STATE--FEATURE (for example,
United States--Florida--Key West, or
United States--Mississippi River). Is there a good way to include this data in the information box?
- The images in this database are often sourced from old books and manuals. I have a bunch of data for those sources, usually something like this:
Image Source Title:|Review of the fisheries in the contiguous waters of the state of Washington and British Columbia Pub. Info.:|Washington, DC : Government Printing Office, 1900 Image Source Series:|Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries, 1899 Page No./Plate No.:|Plate 14
I don't even know how to start formatting this data. It seems more suited for the Book template - is that the right thing to use here? It also seems that the link to the Freshwater and Marine Image Bank should be a source, but those probably shouldn't both be wedged into the
- Can I plug an Institution template into an information box without using Artwork?
I uploaded File:FMIB 32544 Figure of a Fish Showing the Location of Parts Usually Referred to in Descriptions.jpeg as a test/example/sandbox. The source is . If you have any other notes on that, let me know!
- I answered most of my questions so far. I'm using Artwork and Cite Book to get most of the info. The geographic location is the only one I'm still unsure of. BMacZero (talk) 15:29, 3 July 2015 (UTC)
|Assigned to||Progress||Bot name|
|BMacZero (talk) 04:57, 2 July 2015 (UTC)||Harvesting metadata||N/A|
|BMacZero (talk) 18:42, 20 July 2015 (UTC)||BFRA Filed||User:BMacZeroBot|
|BMacZero (talk) 16:47, 14 August 2015 (UTC)||In Progress||User:BMacZeroBot|
|BMacZero (talk) 21:13, 20 September 2015 (UTC)||Done - 20747 unique new images - help check them at Category:Images from the Freshwater and Marine Image Bank to check||User:BMacZeroBot|