Commons:Categories for discussion/Current requests/2009/09/Category:Two persons categories
This deletion debate is now closed. Please do not make any edits to this archive. You can read the deletion policy or ask a question at the Village pump. If the circumstances surrounding this file have changed in a notable manner, you may re-nominate this file or ask for it to be undeleted.
:Category:Two persons categories
For some consistency in category names for images of two persons together, such as
- Category:Dmitry Medvedev with Barack Obama
- Category:Barack Obama and Gordon Brown
- Category:Dmitry Medvedev with Gordon Brown
- Category:Barack Obama and Angela Merkel
- Category:Nicolas Sarkozy and George W. Bush
I think we should find a way to name them in a standardized, neutral way, e.g. in alphabetical order linked with the word "and", unless there is a specific reason to do differently. -- User:Docu at 03:30, 2 September 2009 (UTC)
- Info I added this to Commons:Categories#People. -- User:Docu at 03:43, 16 September 2009 (UTC)
- What about "&" instead of "and"? More language neutral and when people see it being used they pick up on it faster since it's less common and stands out more. Alphabetical, yes. But I don't it's worth renaming all the existing ones just to do this. I doubt having a guideline would help much with avoiding duplicate categories. The people that make them aren't experienced enough to even look around in existing categories (assuming the existing one is properly categorized itself) let alone take the time to find and read some policy page. I think I'm just going to delete those first two you listed since they just redirect to each other and are empty. I just hope that the formation of a guideline doesn't encourage the unnecessary creation of these categories. They're actually not that useful as a categorization method (except for world leaders I guess). Rocket000 (talk) 07:20, 23 September 2009 (UTC)
- I agree with your last point, but I don't think the situation before the guideline was satisfactory.
- To simplify the work of those that upload a series of images of, e.g. Barack Obama or Dimitry Medvedev, I kept around redirects from the format they were using before, e.g. the first two above should redirect to Category:Dmitry Medvedev and Barack Obama. The added advantage is that one doesn't need to sort the names before selecting the category (some names are hard to sort).
- "&" is generally used in company names, so even if it's language neutral, one might think of this rather than just a category of images of the two. -- User:Docu at 07:39, 23 September 2009 (UTC)
Rename completed. -- User:Docu at 09:29, 18 October 2009 (UTC)