Welcome to the Graphics village pump!
Hello and Welcome to this Graphics village pump of Commons. This Graphics village pump aims to provide help and information about the several Graphic Labs spread in the Wikipedias, and to be the technical support forum for all the local Labs, graphists (graphic artists), and users interested in graphic works, and is a page where graphists and users from all the Labs can talk about graphics, tutorials, graphic software, help to build new Graphic Labs, etc. Also for exchanging opinions, ideas, protocols, and ways of improvement.
See also: Other graphic community pages (list on top) | Graphics abilities page | Graphic Tool | Project Insignia | Stroke Order Project | Current requests/discussions
Requesting change of upload wizard image for mr
For Marathi language upload wizard presently used image File:Licensing tutorial mr.svg has some readability issues remaining, Marathi wikipedians created a different image at latter stage File:Licensing tutorial Marathi.png which has a better redability but is not in svg, can some one help out to upgrade File:Licensing tutorial Marathi.png to svg and load at File:Licensing tutorial mr.svg.
Thanks and regards
Mahitgar (talk) 18:44, 14 October 2015 (UTC)
PNG preview of SVG file
I have a problem with the PNG preview (thumbnails) of File:Chinatown map WV.svg: here only the lower four layers are rendered correctly, while the upper five layers are not rendered.
I used Inkscape V 0.48
What did I do wrong? Can somebody be so kind and have a look at my file? Thanks.
Greetings --hdamm (talk) 10:38, 29 October 2015 (UTC)
- Hello Hdamm this is indeed a strange bug. The culprit is the object with
marker-mid="url(#StopM)" (railroad) in combination with the marker attribute
orient="auto" (and some other, not yet known), I'll report this, thank you.
PS: Could you please upload a version with real text? ↔ User: Perhelion (Commons: = crap?) 09:56, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
- I've fixed the file and cleaned up the code from 1,27 MB to
69 38 KB (Inkscape is a bit poorly with text and pattern editing). ↔ User: Perhelion (Commons: = crap?) 15:25, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
- Wow! Thank you very much, Perhelion.
- 1,27 MB to 69 KB is indeed a difference! Maybe some of the big size is owed to my conversion of fonts to paths?
- Is there something that I could do about that? I'm asking, because there are some SVG files that I modified during the last 4-5 days (using Inkscape), with a size >2MB.
- BTW where do you report this bug?
- Greetings --hdamm (talk) 16:28, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
- Hej, yes the most file-size was the text→path, the other was the bad pattern. I optimized again the file by using clones, the size is now 38 KB (I saw also some structure disappeared). The most hints are described here w:de:H:SVG #Text (this/your bug is not yet mentioned there). I reported it on w:de:WP:Phabricator. Keep working have fun. Greetings ↔ User: Perhelion (Commons: = crap?) 17:52, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
- OMG! 38kB!
- Thanks for the link. Greetings --hdamm (talk) 17:57, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
Safe fonts for Inkscape & Commons
I would like to know if there is any known set of fonts (normal, italics, bold) that are REALLY known to work in both Inkscape (in a linux system, debian) and Commons so that Commons will show exactly the same text position and size I see in Inkscape. I checked this list but it does not help. The legend title in this map uses "Liberation Sans:style=Bold" (from Inkscape interface at least, I do not know about the XML itself and I do not care) but what I see in inkscape is not what Commons & Wikipedias show (unless I check the SVG itself but that is not the point). My goal is to find those fonts, stick to them and stop wasting time playing around with font sizes and positions due to the mismatch between Commons & Inkscape's rendering. ANy suggestions? Thank you in advance.--Rowanwindwhistler (talk) 22:36, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
- I checked the source of File:TratadoDeLondresTerritoriosParaItalia.svg and it turns out that the problem is that Inkscape wraps the font family with single quotation marks (
'Liberation Sans') which is illegal to librsvg. Removing the quotation marks will solve the font issue. You just have to tell Inkscape developers of this compatibility issue or you will have to fix it in Notepad manually every time you upload the SVG file to Wikimedia. (GNOME reacts to librsvg bugs much slower to my knowledge...) -- Sameboat - 同舟 (talk · contri.) 05:41, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- Aha, thank you for the analysis. Could it be we are facing this bug and the library version that is being used does not have the fix (I do not know how to check what library version Commons and the different Wikipedias are using to compare it against the version containing the fix)?--Rowanwindwhistler (talk) 09:20, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- A good option is always to use "Arial". It will be replaced with "Liberation Sans" by the Wikimedia Renderer (which is compatible with Arial, i.e. characters are the same size) and works on Windows naturally. I'm not completely sure about Linux/MacOS, but I assume both offer font replacement, too. --Patrick87 (talk) 11:00, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- As per en:List of typefaces included with OS X and support.apple.com, Arial is also natively in OS X and iOS so it's safe to use just Arial. -- Sameboat - 同舟 (talk · contri.) 12:09, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- P.S. (was in a bit of a hurry earlier): Yes, you're probably hitting the linked bug. On Wikimedia servers a custom build of librsvg 2.40.2 is used if I'm not mistaken, so it does not include the fix yet (which is a shame, but somehow nobody at WMF feels responsible to get an updated version running). That's also why I use plain "Arial" nowadays since there's no possibility to achieve a nice font stack with this bug. --Patrick87 (talk) 12:36, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- PPS: @quotation marks: To be clear, this is not an Inkscape bug, so there is nothing to report. With exception of Scour (which is part of Inkscape) which convert single quotation marks completely bad to HTML-Entity (unfortunately no bug-report found, so I made a new here) ↔ User: Perhelion (Commons: = crap?) 13:42, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- I see. So, if I understood correctly we basically have to wait for whoever deploys librsvg to install the new library version that should allow fonts with names including spaces to work properly. And meanwhile we can use those like Arial that have one-word names and are in the list of supported fonts. And then there is this additional bug with the saving extention, used for plain SVGs as far as I know. Did I miss anything?--Rowanwindwhistler (talk) 21:29, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
- Hm no and yes, it's maybe a bit funny (screwy). You can remove this bug in removing the quotation marks, because this is also allowed in the standard (only not the prefered variant), in fact I don't know any viewer which can't interpret this font-names without (and it would also not made any sense). ↔ User: Perhelion (Commons: = crap?) 13:57, 9 November 2015 (UTC)
Fiat CR.20b trainer or not
These look, at first glance, to be a Fiat CR.20b trainer. However, the strut arrangement does not match any images or drawings i have seen , so far. does any body have any ideas?--Petebutt (talk) 11:50, 19 November 2015 (UTC)
Stuck rendering on this SVG file?
Hi, this is related to this help request on enwiki. Wikimedia seems to be having trouble rendering any new versions of File:Glasl's Model of Conflict Escalation.svg. The last step should be "Together into the abyss". I think that another user uploaded an SVG with errors (doesn't render in Firefox), which caused Wikimedia to stop trying to render it and any subsequent versions (even the ones uploaded later which do seem to render fine in Firefox). Can anyone take a look? I've asked in IRC, no response yet. Thank you. --BurritoBazooka (talk) 15:00, 26 November 2015 (UTC)
- Hallo BurritoBazooka, this is an actual cache problem of Wikimedia (not SVG), see phab:T119038. ↔ User: Perhelion (Commons: = crap?) 15:13, 26 November 2015 (UTC)
A survey is going on about improving and producing tools for Wikipedia. One topic is to improve SVG rendering. You can support this request by giving your vote on 2015 Community Wishlist Survey. --Menner (talk) 08:22, 30 November 2015 (UTC)