Commons:History merging and splitting
Shortcut: COM:HMS · COM:HISTMERGE This page provides information on issues and solutions relating pages and files that underwent cut-and-paste moves (which its history has to be put back together), and inappropriate merging/overwriting (of which its history needs to be split).
- 1 History merging
- 2 History splitting
- 3 Requesting a merge or split
- 4 Current requests
- 4.1 File:MTA New York City Bus Nova Bus LFSA SBS.jpg
- 4.2 File:Bendera Pakatan Harapan PH Hi Res 8000x4000 px.svg → File:Pakatan Harapan Logo.svg
- 4.3 Not a librsvgworkaround therfore repairing should be overwritten
- 4.4 Request for multiple similar files to be merged into one file
- 5 Current admin volunteers
- 6 See also
Because most users have the ability to use the move page function, cut-and-paste moves are usually done by people who are not aware of that function, or when the move function fails (e.g. because the target has history), and people who aren't aware of the Administrators Noticeboard forum to ask for help from an administrator.
When a cut-and-paste move is done, the page history of a page can be split among two or more different pages. This is very undesirable, because we need to keep the history with the content for copyright reasons. In most circumstances, administrators are able to fix this by merging page histories.
|Instructions for admins|
Special:MergeHistory makes it possible to automatically merge the history of two pages.
Over time, pages or files may change from one underlying topic to a completely separate topic. Normally, this should be accomplished through moves of pages, or by reuploading an altered file on a slightly different filename. However, if a user is unfamiliar with those processes they may simply change the subject of a page or file (overwriting the old). If this is not caught immediately it is very easy for the new topic to build up a substantial edit history of its own.
|Instructions for admins|
A history merge could also be undone in this way.
Requesting a merge or split
To request a merge or split, fill the following template, and submit it at the bottom of this page. Remember, both files need to be of the same type. Merging of more than two files may also be possible in some cases.
== [[:FILE/PAGE 1]] → [[:FILE/PAGE 2]] == * Request: [Split or Merge] * Reason: --~~~~
- For merges, replace
FILE/PAGE 2with the page you want
FILE/PAGE 1contents to be merged into.
- For splits, replace
FILE/PAGE 2with the new filename which you want the newer content to be moved from
- Request: Split
- Reason: Overwrite
Previous versions of this image are at various locations on the Bx12 in the Bronx, whereas the current version of this file (File:MTA New York City Bus Nova Bus LFSA SBS.jpg) is on the M15 in South Ferry, Manhattan. All four version are the same make and model of bus, but most are on a separate route. Current version should keep the existing name. Names for older versions should be as follows:
- Request: Merge the two files into one file under the name of File:Pakatan Harapan Logo.svg, but mantain the version of File:Bendera Pakatan Harapan PH Hi Res 8000x4000 px.svg since it is with the correct ratio.
- Reason: Similar file.
Not a librsvgworkaround therfore repairing should be overwritten
- Request: Merge
- Reason: not a librsvgbug, file was invalid (therefore repairing file can be overwritten, without documenting the non existing librsvg bug)
Request for multiple similar files to be merged into one file
File:DUN Sabah.svg, File:DUN Sabah 20180512.svg and File:DUN Sabah 20180512 confirmed.svg → File:Sabah State Legislative Assembly seating, 2018.svg;
- Request: Merge
- Reason: All are similar files that was created for State Legislative Assembly seating in 2018 that supposed to be in one file. The final confirmed version is on File:Sabah State Legislative Assembly seating, 2018.svg and that should be mantain as the current/top version. Molecule Extraction (talk) 07:35, 23 May 2018 (UTC)
Current admin volunteers
Administrators, please add your name here if you would like to volunteer!
- Rehman (talk · contribs)
- PierreSelim (talk · contribs)
- Ankry (talk · contribs)
- Revent (talk · contribs)
- ~riley (talk · contribs)