Commons:History merging and splitting
Shortcut: COM:HMS · COM:HISTMERGE This page provides information on issues and solutions relating pages and files that underwent cut-and-paste moves (which its history has to be put back together), and inappropriate merging/overwriting (of which its history needs to be split).
- 1 History merging
- 2 History splitting
- 3 Requesting a merge or split
- 4 Current requests
- 5 Current admin volunteers
- 6 See also
Because most users have the ability to use the move page function, cut-and-paste moves are usually done by people who are not aware of that function, or when the move function fails (e.g. because the target has history), and people who aren't aware of the Administrators Noticeboard forum to ask for help from an administrator.
When a cut-and-paste move is done, the page history of a page can be split among two or more different pages. This is very undesirable, because we need to keep the history with the content for copyright reasons. In most circumstances, administrators are able to fix this by merging page histories.
|Instructions for admins|
Special:MergeHistory makes it possible to automatically merge the history of two pages.
Over time, pages or files may change from one underlying topic to a completely separate topic. Normally, this should be accomplished through moves of pages, or by reuploading an altered file on a slightly different filename. However, if a user is unfamiliar with those processes they may simply change the subject of a page or file (overwriting the old). If this is not caught immediately it is very easy for the new topic to build up a substantial edit history of its own.
|Instructions for admins|
A history merge could also be undone in this way.
Requesting a merge or split
To request a merge or split, fill the following template, and submit it at the bottom of this page. Remember, both files need to be of the same type. Merging of more than two files may also be possible in some cases.
==== [[:FILE/PAGE 1]] → [[:FILE/PAGE 2]] ==== * Request: [Split or Merge] * Reason: --~~~~
- For merges, replace
FILE/PAGE 2with the page you want
FILE/PAGE 1contents to be merged into.
- For splits, replace
FILE/PAGE 2with the new filename which you want the newer content to be moved from
File:NYC Transit Authority Mack C-49 6259.jpg → File:NYCTA Mack C-49 6259; Midtown Manhattan.jpg, File:NYCTA Mack C-49 6259; Floyd Bennett Field.jpg
- Request: Split older versions into new names.
- Reason: Two older versions of the file exist in two different locations, but one category (Category:Mack C-49-DT (6259)) exists for this bus. Restoring the two older versions of the file will make better use of the category. ----DanTD (talk) 16:06, 13 October 2015 (UTC)
- Request: Split
- Reason: Original image has been overwritten by something else. Source and author information is confused, which is unfortunate when the file is used on so many wikis. --ghouston (talk) 05:05, 19 November 2015 (UTC)
- @Ghouston: Original image restored as File:Daff2.jpg, but it will probably be deleted unless you (or somebody else) add the required copyrihght information (author, link to permission or OTRS permission ticket number).
- Done Ankry (talk) 06:47, 19 November 2015 (UTC)
- Request: delete 1st version from 08.02.2008
- Reason: copyvio via http://www.saopaulo.sp.gov.br/spnoticias/lefotos.php?id=6486 (01.2008, credit: "Sérgio Andrade") = (download available / identical size & exif) http://www.saopaulo.sp.gov.br/imageDownload.php?filename=/bancoImagens/albuns/6486/21832.jpg
- Thx --Gunnex (talk) 22:32, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
Current admin volunteers
Administrators, please add your name here if you would like to volunteer!
- Rehman (talk · contribs)
- Bencmq (talk · contribs)
- PierreSelim (talk · contribs)
- Ankry (talk · contribs)