Commons:KITLV donation 2015
|Leiden University Library|
|Native name||Universiteitsbibliotheek Leiden|
|Parent institution||Leiden University|
|Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies|
|Native name||Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde / Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (KITLV)|
|Parent institution||Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences|
In 2015, the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (KITLV) donated 2400+ high resolution nineteenth century and early twentiest century photographs of Indonesia, India and Thailand to Wikimedia Commons in a partnership with Wikimedia. The Leiden University Library, which presently manages the source image database media-kitlv.nl, has made this donation possible in practice. Meursault2004/Revo Soekatno provided translations in Bahasa Indonesia for the captions of the 1600 or so images related to Indonesia. The uploads were performed by Hansmuller/Hans Muller in the project Wikipedians in special Residence (in Dutch and incomplete English language pages), organised by the Dutch WSWB (Working Group of Academic Libraries, Dutch: Werkgroep Speciale Wetenschappelijke Bibliotheken). The images were uploaded using the GLAMwiki Toolset software.
In 2016, Leiden University Library and Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (KITLV) donated a second, larger batch of colonial images (photographs and artworks) from the same database.
This donation includes historical images of
- India (British India), sorted by photographer into the categories Photographs by Albert Thomas Watson Penn from KITLV (2 photographs), Photographs by Bourne & Shepherd from KITLV (10), Photographs by Clifton & Co from KITLV (40), Photographs by William Johnson from KITLV (19), Photographs by Johnson & Henderson from KITLV (11), Photographs by Nicholas and Company from KITLV (4), Photographs by Samuel Bourne from KITLV (66), and Photographs by unknown photographers from KITLV (708)
- Indonesia (Dutch East Indies, this is the main part of the donation): Photographs by Isidore van Kinsbergen from KITLV (577), Photographs by Kassian Cephas from KITLV (982), and Photographs by Sem Cephas from KITLV (23)
- Thailand (Siam, Bangkok): a few in Photographs by Isidore van Kinsbergen from KITLV (12).
The overall category for maintenance is Media contributed by KITLV (5529 images, including the second donation in 2016 as of 19 May 2016).
Art of Indonesia and India, temples of Indonesia and India, court of the sultan of Yogyakarta, court of the King of Siam, portraits of various people of Indonesia, India and Siam, landscapes of India (Kashmir, Pune) and Indonesia, streetscenes of Indonesia and India, then modern buildings of India, and more
- Pageviews for Wikipedia pages using images from this and the 2016 donation. In 12 months (May 1, 2015 - May 1, 2016) there have been 3.7 million (3,695,016) pageviews (then still mainly the 2015 donation).
- Usage of these images on Wikimedia projects
- Usage of these images on Wikimedia projects except wikibooks. On May 26, 2016 143 images (2.6% of 5528) were used on 212 pages.