From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
This is a rough brainstorming on what would be needed to create a mentoring programme on commons, like the one on de.wp:
- 1 Timetable
- 2 Pages
- 3 Templates
- 4 Other
- 5 Questions
- 6 Who likes to have a mentor
- we start when we have at least two mentors in each language of the following: en, es, de, fr, pl
- people describe themselves: fields of experience, languages, favourite topics, ...
- one page per language?
all languages on one page?
- alternative: categories put by babel-boxes
General page to ask newbie questions, like Commons:New user support- inserted above Commons:Help desk
- language doesn't matter!
- Link to IRC channel and IRC howto
- /Mentory/Diary (for documentation)
- I need a mentor
- maybe with optional language
- this user is supported by mentor ...
- links from welcome template
How to support multiple languages?
What is the role of a mentor?
- Just give them your talk page?
- Watch their contribitions?
- Give them alternative ways of contacting you?
- Watching their talk pages?
What are the benefits of having a mentor?
- More than automated bot messages
- Someone that may have gone through the same thing
- Someone speaking your language
Who should ask for a mentor?
- New contributors to Commons (even if experienced on wp)
- People that are not family with English language
What are demands for being a mentor?
- a working knowledge of copyright
- adminship (helpful, but not required)
- motivation and time to do this for some time, so mentorees (?) don't have to change their mentors
How do people find a mentor?
- Asking them directly at /Mentors?
- Putting a help template on their user page?
Who likes to have a mentor
- user ....