This project page in other languages:
Neuchâtel's Alma Mater and Wikimedia CH, the association for the advancement of free knowledge, have signed an agreement for the digitization and dissemination on Wikimedia Commons of photographs of dried pressed specimens of Swiss plants from the herbarium of the University of Neuchâtel (UniNE).
The University of Neuchâtel is a public institution whose research and teaching contribute to the improvement, advancement and dissemination of knowledge.
Wikimedia CH is the Swiss chapter approved by the Wikimedia Foundation, created to support creation, collection and distribution of Open Content in a not-for-profit way in order to support education and equal opportunity of access to knowledge.
The aim of this project is to digitize a part of the Swiss herbarium of the Neuchâtel Herbarium. A Wikipedian in Residence actually started on 25 June 2012 to digitize the material (target 30 to 40 000 pictures). Pictures will be upload by batch in Wikimedia Commons after being verified.
This first phase of the project is financed by Wikimedia CH.
- Start in June 2012
- Winter 2012: Education project, 8 students of the university take part in the digitization effort
- January 2013: All the Gymnosperms have been digitized: 3861 pictures, among them 3789 are in the upload phase. Today, 42908 pictures of Angiosperms are ready to be upload and waiting for the bot flag. The sum of all the pictures is 46697, with 9334 taken by the students and the rest by the Wikimedia CH photographer.
- May 28 2013: 50.000 herbarium sheets digitized
- June 11 2013: end of the Upload of the Gymnospermes 3982 files
- July 11 2013: 60.000 herbarium sheets digitized
Searching inside the collection
You can find all the picture for a specified taxon by using the catscan tools dedicated to the search accross category. Just fil the "for pages by category" field, and choose how deep you want to go.
Example: if your query is "Abies", with a depth of 1 level you will find 0 pictures, because their is no picture à the genus level, but if you choose a depth of 3, you will find all the pictures belonging to the species inside the genus Abies, today it means 17 pictures for three species.
Licensing and credits
The participants to this projet chose to place the result of their collaborative work under the CC-By-SA 3.0 license. They also chose to give the credit of authorship to the project itself "Neuchâtel Herbarium" to emphasize the collaborative nature of this work.