On Monday, November 22, 2010, Nordiska museet (the Nordic Museum) and Wikimedia Sverige in a press release and a short film announced a longer cooperation. This cooperation will primarily be visible through the roughly 1,000 images from the Nordic Museum which will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. More images are to follow.
The reasoning behind the cooperation was according to the chairman Christina Mattsson:
„We consider the recently started cooperation with Wikipedia as an important step toward making our large archive as accessible and useful as possible.“
The images that Nordiska museet have made available are of historical and cultural interest. These images are related to the history of Sweden, Swedish culture and Swedish folklore. They have been digitised by the Nordic Museum, and associated with metadata about photographer (if known), date, motive, identitication number, etc. The originals are glass plates (such as famous author August Strindberg's own pictures from his time in Switzerland), photographs (for example those of Severin Nilson, one of the earliest Swedish documentary photographers), plus watercolor painting and sketches (by among others Fritz von Dardel, depicting life around the Swedish king Charles XV in the middle of the 19th century).
The Nordic Museum[Bearbeiten]
The Nordic Museum (Nordiska museet) is a museum located on Djurgården, an island in central Stockholm, Sweden, dedicated to the cultural history and ethnography of Sweden from the Early Modern age (which for purposes of Swedish history is said to begin in 1520) until the contemporary period.
These images are licensed under the free license Public Domain, since they are too old to be copyrighted. That means that anyone can copy, modify and disseminate the images, but please keep in mind that the images have a context that can be lost if you forget to link to the file page here on Wikimedia Commons or directly to the website of the Nordic Museum.
All uploads go into Category:Images from Nordiska museet or into at least one subcategory.
Technical problems resulting from the way we receive the metadata about images can be reported at the talk page.
Factual errors in the image descriptions or other metadata can be reported at /Error reports.
There are a lot of things to do besides uploading the pictures. Commons:Nordiska museet/Todo has a loose collection. If you can think of more, feel free to add to it.
- (Swedish) Strindbergs privata fotografier blir offentliga (Strindbergs personal photos becomes public), .
- (Swedish) Jessica Silversaga, Strindbergs privata bilder blir offentliga, , Fotosidan
- (Swedish) Strindbergs fotografier på internet, , Dagens Nyheter
- (Swedish) Strindbergs fotografier på internet, , Göteborgs-Posten
- (Swedish) Strindbergs fotografier på internet, , Länstidningen
- (Swedish) Strindbergs fotografier på internet, , Hallands Nyheter
- (Swedish) Strindbergs fotografier på internet, , Svenska Dagbladet
- (Danish) Charlotte S H Jensen, Nordiska Museet tilgængeliggør fotos på svensk Wikipedia, , Formiddlingsnettet
- (Swedish) P4 Stockholm: Strindbergs foton på nätet, , Sveriges Radio
- (Swedish) SVT Kulturnyheterna (4.30 in i programmet), , Sveriges Television