Commons Picture of the Year 2007: Results
The Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year 2007 competition is now over and the winner has been selected. In the final 919 Wikimedians voted, of which 84 voted for the winner, Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England. New York City takes the second place with 67 votes. The third place is for Eichhörnchen with 66 votes.
The full archive of all images is downloadable from download.wikimedia.org. See the index for the download links and a preview of the archive.
Commons Picture of the Year 2007
#1 – 84 votes; Broadway Tower in Cotswolds, England.
Taken by Wikimedian Newton2.
- This is the picture I would like to have taken myself.
- Great colours and composition.
- Best composition ever. Nice weather too.
- really torn between this and All_Gizah_Pyramids.jpg, but since I only have one vote...
- Perfect composition, excellent colours
- Great! A man and a castle at the edge of the world!
- One of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen, and a wonderful photograph. Now I want to visit!
- Que nous sommes petits!
- it's hard to pick a single pic...
- Arty encyclopedic
- Perfect composition
- I like the scale contrast
- Could be the standard Windows Vista wallpaper ;-)
- Tellement intriguante
- Whoa,I like how the tower is like big, and the person is like... not
- Le site ! Ainsi que la construction de la photo, bravo !
- Let it say this way: contrast and deep colours, good composition, decriptive... There would be also some contras, but let it characterize like: "Le château des Pyrénées", René Magritte.
- This image has most comments, so it is probably the best.
- Magic !
- It's Just Unreal
- Striking composition and colors, and an all around beautiful image.
- Beautiful composition, perfect shot.
- that it was created specifically for Wikipedia is a plus.
- Exquisitely composed
- very amazing, fast surreal
#2 – 67 votes; New York City at night, USA.
Taken by Paulo Barcellos Jr..
- Mooie belichting
- Well... This is just so cool.
- I love this. It's incredible!!!
- pretty cool, a great encyklopedic image
- Tolle Stimmung
- Impressive, beautiful and interesting.
- simply amazing
- Reminds me of the openings shots of "Blade Runner"
- Simply amazing! Looks like it came straight out of a dark and scary movie.
- it's a nice horror
- I saw this photo and — wow!
- Reminds me Sin City film :)
- Long live HDR! (This one reminds me of Sin City)
- love the HDR
- One of the most beautiful cityscapes I've ever seen.
- Splendide. On pourrait croire qu'elle est tiré du film Sin City
- Incredible Image
- Look like 3D picture but it's real... My choice :)
- Lovely night shot
- All these images are amazing but this one is simply stunning!
- Very vivid and amazing picture.
#3 – 66 votes; Red Squirrel with pronounced winter ear tufts in the Hofgarten in Düsseldorf
Taken by Wikimedian Ray eye.
- Must have been hard to catch it like this, thats not easy to take. Very good work!
- Let this wonderful creature be the best! :)
- Hugely appealing. Bonus points for retaining the EXIF data and for preferring Cc-by-sa to GFDL
- ' \ '
- Perfect image of an elusive subject.
- Nice catch! It's pretty hard to have a close of a so active animal.
- nice, catch the moment
- Really nice picture!
- Awesome :D
- The cutest squirrel I've ever seen.
- photographe patient
- simply wonderful
- An original Wikimedian image, and wonderful this has my vote.
- a very nice picture of a very quick animal
- Picture reflects topic
- Muy linda foto:)
- et blinkskudd. Et øyeblikk.
- großes kino
#4 – 62 votes; Terrace rice fields in Yunnan Province, China. Edq
Taken by Wikimedian JialiangGao.
- That's the kind of picture we need for an encyclopaedia!
- Uma maravilhosa mistura de natureza e ação humana.
- extraordinary picture which in fact has more implied meaning than just that of which it is a photograph
- I really liiks the different colors
- Terraforming in real-life
- Superbe, tout simplement.
- art from the sky
- nature-culture abstraction
- Beautiful picture of a very nice place!
- Wins on surreality for me, quality alone is not enough
- amazing picture
- never seen such a picture
- This photo made me look at the world anew
- un monde graphique SUPERBE
- Looks just like a painting.
- Excellent example of image which is both extraordinarily beautiful and contains useful encyclopedic content. A standout for me in a strong field.
- Amazing image, nice resolution
#5 – 59 votes; Green turtle, Hawai'i, USA.
Taken by Wikimedian Mila Zinkova.
- the Peugeot racing car is more impressive at first view, though this one is lovely as well
- Linda imagem de um lindo momento de um lindo animal.
- I love that image, but unfortunaly it has not such a good resolution like the others. Anyway, my vote for it
- simply beautiful
- Gorgeous colors. Reminds me of a certain Academy Award winning film.
- under wather
- Das Foto geht über ein bloße Abbildung des Tieres hinaus. Es zeigt das Tier in Aktion in seiner natürlichen Umgebung und bietet so viel mehr Informationen. Außerdem hat das Foto eine hohe ästhetische Qualität,
- Natural, eye-catching, perfect composition.
- Fantastic quality and composition.
- Great pic in hard-to-shoot environment
- Good picture
- A wounderful nature picture with dynamic and colorfullness of a gorgeous animal
- Perhaps not as nice as others, but holds the most encyclopedic value in a really great shot
- looks gr8
- Really good, looks like it came out from an actual video in high definition TV
- It's remarkable
#6 – 49 votes; A 4x4 segment panorama of the Colosseum at dusk.
Taken by Wikimedian Diliff.
- One of the most photographed landmarks in the world. Still this image manages to amaze: that's top quality for you!
- A beautiful shot. Sharp, nice colours, everything's perfect.
- clear & useful for WM projects
- Tolle technische Qualität, sehr schöne Lichtstimmung. Alles in allem perfekt.
- excpetional quality
- good work
- No finer way to depict something.
- very beautiful
- No comments
- incredibile il contrasto fra luci e colori scuri
- this is brilliant
- Best quality / interest / style
- One of the new world wonders shown in espectucalar light. Unfortunately the image shows some artifacts in the sky. But nonetheless the image is briliant! Thank you!
- Another great picture by Diliff, still the best with hard competition
#7 – 46 votes; The Antelope Canyon in the USA, Arizona.
Taken by Wikimedian Lucas Löffler.
- It´s absolutely great! Beautiful colours!
- Hard choice but this is the most stunning of the group.
- I love it!
- Very difficult decision. There were a few images that I especially liked, in the end this one won because it had the most free license.
- Impossible choice with so many great images
- Wow soo cool :)
- Viele sind grandios - aber das ist das Beste in Verbindung von Genialität, Schönheit und enzyklopädischer Brauchbarkeit
- it was a very hard decision, one outstanding picture among many other great ones
- I ove the contrast and the colors
- it's orange
- A stunning shot and in the PD. BTW: a single vote for 1/28 photos can not accurately determine a second place.
- The beam of light is just wonderful...
- Public Domain license
- Tough choice - but I had to pick the one photograph that looks like a painting. It has some natural, yet unnatural beauty.
- The finger of God ...
- Re: a drop of golden sun
- Оригинально и красиво
- Fantastic image!
- very nice!
- Quel jeu sur la lumière, quelle pureté....
#8 – 43 votes; Juuso Pykälistö (FIN) in his Peugeot 206 WRC during the 2003 Swedish Rally
Taken by Christopher Batt.
- nice shot
- Either this guy was using a high speed camera or this guy got a very, very lucky shot
- Great shot!
- Rare event, with sharpness and bright colours. Sense of danger for the man behind the camera.
- Great Action Shot
- I hope the photographer was able to get out of the way!
- Good image.
- Unbelievable - the best racing photograph I've seen in a long time
- pure action
- Captures the location well
- The frozen moment is incredible!
#9 – 41 votes; May 15th 2007 Line of fire memorial, commemorating the 1940 bombing of Rotterdam by Nazi Germany.
Taken by Wikimedian Y.S. Groen.
- It makes you feel so little
- The light effect is marvelous(but yet, I had a hard time voting, so many wonderful images!)!
- very nice!
- Muy linda vista. Fue muy difícil elegir una.
- Both beautiful and important.
- the colors, light and shines very well. for a long time I've used this as a screensaver. like a postcard:)
- Right moment for a year and for a picture
- That's cool!
#10 – 34 votes; Brown bear (Ursus arctos arctos) running. From Skandinavisk Dyrepark, Denmark.
Taken by Wikimedian Malene Thyssen.
- I don't care what Stephen Colbert says! Bears are the future! :P
- This photo should win - mainly to annoy Stephen Colbert.
- Viele-baeren can easyly vote for one bear!
- Sharp in focus encyclopedia, and cute
- Ma dove correva?
- Like it
- It looks alive
- Yay! Bear!
- Shooted in danger
- Great image!
- Good movement and colours. If this bear were running for an office, this photo would be his election poster #1. Minus for being from a zoo, but you cannot have everything.
- the water droplets are amazing, well timed shot.
- Amazing. I love how I can see the water droplets.
- Useful for the encyclopedia, and simply a great picture.
- Picture anyone could appreciate; not perfect, but I wouldn't want to get close enough to get it perfect!
#11 – 34 votes; A stormy day in Pors-Loubous, a small port in Plogoff, Brittany, France.
Taken by Wikimedian Henri Camus.
- great climate!
- motion and colours are fantasic
- a picture full of emotions.
- powerful image - great colors
- An extremely tough choice between maybe 6 great pictures!
- may not be the most pretty, but this obviously took the most technical skill to take
- It has life
- Nice, lots of action, high quality ...
#12 – 32 votes; A cow.
Taken by Wikimedian Daniel Schwen.
- Definitely the finest image here on Commons. The depth of field is amazing, the colours too. Excellent, truly impressive sharpness and great composition. The exif data also confirms my suspicions. This image could not be better technically or compositiona
- Hard choice, but this was the one! 2nd was Flughahn.jpg, 3rd was All_Gizah_Pyramids.jpg and 4th was Hawaii_turtle_2.JPG and 5th was Egeskov_Slot_spejling_Edit_2.jpg
- Mooh !
- I simply love the comp and the cow =)
- zencow is zen
- It's just too good to not vote for - very nice composition
- nice colors and disposition of elements
- Ja, es ist eine einfache Kuh, aber wenn alle Kühe so friedvoll aussehen würden, wären all diese Urlaube auf dem Bauernhof früher viel leichter zu ertragen gewesen; andererseits, wer weiß schon, was die überlegt; hat der Fotograf noch alle Körperteile?
- Fantastiskt kofoto.
- It was a difficult choice, but this is the one I prefer
#13 – 28 votes; Egeskov Castle, Denmark
Taken by Wikimedian Malene Thyssen.
- Beautiful captured
- Just the kind of image I wish I'd taken. Beautiful, informative, and CC-by-sa!
- Good position of the scene - nice is the silent water, and the colors are excellent
#14 – 28 votes; Old book bindings at the Merton College library
Taken by Wikimedian Tom Murphy VII.
- Basically represents our projects
- What's in the books?!
- Yeees, nice one!
- difficult choice. The sujet of this picture is so much me that I voted for "Old bookbindings". Firefighting exercise, breaking wave, Peugeot, Broadway Tower, Brown Bear, Antelope Canyon were also close to being my favorite.
- couldn't be done better,
- La antikva Vikio!
- There are a lot of extremely great pictures in the running for Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year 2007. As a Wikipedian this picture of old books grabs my attention, my imagination and that part of me the fuels my continued contributions to Wikipedia;
- I like books so much, as the represent information, just like Wikimedia
- Inspires the ideas of knowledge and hidden treasures in an excellent way.
#15 – 28 votes; Animation of a Foucault pendulum showing the sense of rotation on the southern hemisphere.
Taken by Wikimedian DemonDeLuxe.
- Its this kind of media that makes Wikipedia special. Keep up the great work
- not only a good picture, but good exposition of the subject
- Compleja para ser un gif
- As before the candidates are all visually impressive. I think this image effectively illustrates a difficult to explain conc
- Fine art. I wish the best to those who knew the artist
- Ein Bild, das aus dem Rahmen fällt
- Наиболее энциклопедичная картинка)
- Great physics made alive
- прикольна річ :)
- Every deatil is taken care of, from the reflection on the picture and the shadw, to the fading ink.
#16 – 27 votes; Salt mounds in Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia.
Taken by Wikimedian Luca Galuzzi.
- fotografisch natürlich bestens, enzyklopädisch relevant, informativ, herausragende Bildbeschreibung
- very interesting
- Unusual subject and very convincing composition
- Educational value is rarer than beauty, and this has it
#17 – 26 votes; Klöntalersee, a natural lake in the Canton of Glarus, Switzerland
Taken by Wikimedian Ikiwaner.
- Extremly beautiful
- Stunning view.
- schönes Naturbild
- great :)
#18 – 22 votes; Larvae of Culex Mosquitoes making dense groups in standing water.
Taken by James Gathany.
- Technisch super, für Wikipedia hoch relevant
- very explaning
- arty as well as enzyclopedic
- nice macro
- makes u wonder...
#19 – 20 votes; The flying gurnard, Dactylopterus volitans, in the Mediterranean sea.
Taken by Wikimedian Beckmannjan.
- It was really hard to choose. All images are great. I've chosen this one because it is amazing image taken underwater and in the wild!
- Flying gurnard
- simply superbly stunning
- This is a spectacular image that seems hard to come by. The color and clarity are magnificent.
#20 – 19 votes; The Fulmer Falls, a waterfall located in the Childs Recreation Area in the Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA.
Taken by Wikimedian Derek Ramsey.
- It was hard to choose...
#21 – 17 votes; Gizah Pyramids
Taken by Wikimedian Ricardo Liberato.
- Seven wonder rules
- colours, its beautiful composition... it is just irresistible
- The most interesting picture of all.
#22 – 16 votes; The nest and chicks of an Australasian Pipit (Anthus novaeseelandiae)
Taken by Wikimedian benjamint444.
- an amazingly raw and yet somehow tender view of nature
- it is what Wikis are like; always hungry for more info
- Es standen auch andere Top Bilder zur Wahl. Mir gefiel dieses Bild mit den Küken.
- Completely unique
#23 – 14 votes; Colouring pencils
Taken by Wikimedian Michael Maggs.
- nice idea
- Very well done, I love colours
- Amazing photograph
- A very simple image that nicely illustrates opposites and has good contrast between the black background, the bright colour of the pencils and the light 'circle' created by the shaved wood. Very cool!! Gets my vote.
- mooie graduele kleurenovergang in een cirkeltje
#24 – 14 votes; The Palace of Westminster at night seen from the south bank of the River Thames.
Taken by Wikimedian Diliff .
- I liked his Toledo Skyline photo better, but this is equally excellent
- Clear crisp photo, accurately portrays the subject.. and looks pretty cool too.
#25 – 14 votes; U.S. Air Force Airmen from the 20th Civil Engineer Squadron Fire Protection Flight neutralize a live fire during a field training exercise.
Taken by Kathrine McDowell.
- socialact and color top
- Only allowed one vote? No fair!
- The fire can be beautiful (only during an exercise!)
- subtile bichromie de gris et cuivre
- Nice and surreal.
#26 – 13 votes; Picture taken at Georgia Aquarium, pictured is one of the two resident male whale sharks
Taken by Wikimedian Zac Wolf.
- intense moment. ;)
- It is similar to WP: an event and reporters, writers, readers.
- Nice perspective
#27 – 11 votes; Meadow Horsetail or Shade Horsetail (Equisetum pratense)
Taken by Wikimedian Luc Viatour.
- Photogenic, encyclopedic / educational, clearly the object was photo with a good light and still it could have been noticed by most of us, not only for someone who can afford a long travel. Quite examplarish as a collection of our project.
#28 – 5 votes; Fresh morning dew on a Water Horsetail (Equisetum fluviatile)
Taken by Wikimedian Luc Viatour.
- Perfect technical quality + encyclopedic value = great image
- Very interesting, shows what it looks like close up in great detail.