What is Picture of the Year?
The fourth annual Picture of the Year competition is an event where the images that became Featured Pictures during the year are voted on by members from all Wikimedia projects, to produce a single Picture of the Year.
Who can vote?
You are eligible to vote if...
- ...you registered before 2010-01-01
- ...and have more than 200 edits before 2010-01-16 (that is 2010-01-15 UTC 24:00/2010-01-16 UTC 00:00) in any single Wikimedia project.
You can check if you meet the requirements here.
Where can I vote?
Look through galleries for the current round of voting (please take the time to look at all the pictures in any category you choose to vote in!), click the "Vote" button below any image you wish to support, and vote for that image by using the template Template:2009POTY/Vote, signed with 4 tildes:
- Round one (Categories)
- from 2010-05-14T00:00(UTC) till 2010-05-21T23:59(UTC) (round one voting is now closed, thank-you to all those who participated!)
- Round one galleries
- Voting in Round 1 will determine winning images for each Category in the competition, as well as creating the list of finalists for Round 2.
- You may vote for as many images as you like in Round 1, but can only cast one vote for each image.
- The Round 1 Category winners, and the top 10 overall will advance to Round 2 (the Finals).
- Round 2 (Finals)
- from 4 June 2010, 00:00 (UTC) till 11 June 2010, 23:59 (UTC)
- Finalists gallery (Large sized)
- Round 2 voting will determine the overall winner for Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year.
- Voting in Round 2 will be limited to the finalist images advancing from Round 1.
- Any eligible user can vote in Round 2, even if they didn't vote in Round 1.
- Single vote per eligible user.
- The Round 2 image receiving the most (confirmed) votes will win Picture of the Year. Special recognition (including badging) will also be given to the second and third place finalists.
I have more questions!
If you have any problems, please contact the /Committee or post a question on the discussion page.
The contest is being run by a first-time team this year. We hope that you will help us if we make any mistakes.