Commons:Project scope/Allowable file types
Currently the following formats are allowed:
- Images: SVG (for vector graphics), PNG (lossless format), JPEG (for photographs), GIF ("semi"-lossless format, but PNG is preferred), TIFF (lossless format, but PNG is preferred), WebP (lossy and lossless format, but JPG is preferred), XCF (allows layers and text).
- Audio: Ogg-container (using FLAC, Speex, Opus or Vorbis codecs with file extension
.oga), MIDI, WAV (16-bit PCM format and 32-bit IEEE uncompressed format), FLAC (
.flac), MP3 (
.mp3) or Opus (
- Video: WebM using the VP8/VP9 video codec with Vorbis for the sound, or Ogg using the Theora video codec. New software supports file extension
.ogvfor Theora video without or with Vorbis audio, RFC 3534
.oggis still usable instead of RFC 5334
.ogxfor Theora video with other Ogg audio codecs - Help:Converting video.
- Animation: GIF, APNG, Animated SVG.
- Multipage documents (books, journals, magazines, etc.): PDF and DjVu.
- 3D structures: STL.
While SXW, SWC, SXD, and SXI (OpenOffice.org 1.x), as well as ODT, ODS, ODG, and ODP (OpenDocument) are theoretically permissible under the similar provisions to Commons:Scope: PDF and DjVu formats these formats are currently disabled because we are currently unable to prevent people from hiding harmful or otherwise impermissible content inside OpenOffice's ZIP based container format.
For a longer list of unsupported file types, see Commons:File types (Unsupported file types).
For a discussion and guidance on the preferred formats and file sizes, see Commons:File types.