Quality images are diagrams or photographs that meet certain quality standards (which are mostly technical in nature) and are valuable for Wikimedia projects. Unlike featured pictures, quality images must be the work of Commons contributors; they need not be extraordinary or outstanding, but merely well-composed and generally well-executed. Over 127,800 images have currently been marked as Quality images.
This page highlights recently promoted images that meet the quality image guidelines. If you think that a particular image meets the criteria, you may nominate it at Commons:Quality images candidates. All Quality images can be found in a category called Quality images. You can browse Quality images by country.
Quality images are divided into three subgroups. Any individual image may be placed in one or more of these groups:
- Pictures with special technical merit. These images can be used as reference tools for teaching and explaining concepts in photography.
- Pictures with a particular subject. This group has subgroups such as "birds" and "man-made structures".
- Pictures created in a particular manner. For example, animations and pictures created with the use of a microscope.
(Before adding new images to these pages please see Commons talk:Quality images.)
- 1 Quality images by technical merit
- 2 Quality images by subject matter
- 3 Quality images by type
Quality images by technical merit
Depth of field
Quality images by subject matter
Food and drink
Man made structures
Other plant pictures