The Wikimedia Commons community operates several accounts on external social media sites. The accounts are used for:
- Promoting featured content on Wikimedia Commons, such as Picture of the Day,
- Promoting issues as they relate to the wider Wikimedia Commons community,
- Engaging with "the internet" on issues as they relate to Wikimedia Commons,
- Engaging in outreach with copyright holders to make their holdings available on Wikimedia Commons,
- Engaging in outreach with GLAM-type institutions with a view to enter into partnerships,
Wikimedia Commons operates several accounts on external social media sites. They are used to facilitate new contributions and attract new contributors, while also announcing major project news like contests, policy discussions, and competitions. These accounts are also used to participate in the free content movement and to attract and engage with agencies working to make content freely available.
Currently, only one active affiliated social account exists.
- @WikiCommons on Twitter (you can email the public social media mailing list at social-medialists.wikimedia.org to suggest tweets and retweets for this account)
- /r/WikimediaCommons on Reddit
- Wikimedia.Commons on Facebook see more at /Facebook
- These accounts are required to comply with Wikimedia Commons copyright and licenses.
- The accounts should represent the Wikimedia Commons community to the public.
- The accounts are run by the Commons Social Media Committee, an informal group of trusted users.
The Commons Social Media Committee has not been formed at this time. Suggestions for the administration of social media accounts is welcome on the talk page.
- Social media on Meta.